Weeksville Brooklyn New York
Weeksville Brooklyn New York was named for James Weeks , a free African American from Virginia who brought the plot of land in 1838 from the Lefferts Family estate. The village of Weeksville is bounded by Fulton Street, East New York Ave, Ralph Ave and Troy Ave. Schenectady Avenue at the time was it main street. During the 1850's Weekville had more than 500 residents, more than one third of the men owned land. The village had its own churches, school, cementery and even an old age home. The village was also home to one the country's first African American newspapers, The Freedman's Torchlight. Weeksville eventually merged into modern day Crown Heights Brooklyn.
Four Historic Weekville homes built in 1830 were discovered in 1968 now know as the Hunterfly Road Houses- The Hunterfly District is now a national historic district. In 1970 the houses were declared New York City Landmarks and were also place on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.