Great weekend road trips from Mt. Juliet
Want to get in the car and have a mini vacation? These are places that are a three - hour or less car ride from Mt. Juliet.
One of the best parts of summer is getting to cool off in the water. If your family enjoys water sports and activities, check some of these things out:
- Tube down the Little River at the base of the Great Smoky Mountains in Townsend, TN. Prices are approximately $10-$13 per person depending on the company you choose to rent the tubes from. A great way to spend a relaxing day. A good website I found was www.smokymtnriverrat.com
- Whitewater raft on the Ocoee. Only people over the age of 12 can participate in this activity because of state of Tennessee rules. You can split your trip up into just rafting the upper or middle Ocoee or you can spend the whole day rafting the entire route. The Ocoee rapids was the site of the 1996 Olympics. Rates usually start in the $40-$50 range and go up from there. A good website I found was www.raft.com.
- Fall Creek Falls State Park in Pikeville, TN. Here you can fish, paddleboat or canoe on Fall Creek Falls lake or take a hike up to see the falls. Plus, there are 3 camping areas that are considered to be some of the best in Tennessee.
- Center Hill Lake in Smithville, TN. On this beautiful and quiet lake you can rent a pontoon or other type of boat and spend the day relaxing on the water. Only about an hour drive away from Mt. Juliet. Check out this site for boat rental info. www.centerhillmarina.com
- If you want to stay closer to home, there are tons of fun activities and beautiful parks on both Old Hickory Lake and Percy Priest Lake.
-Written by Maggie Claprood and Judy Rockensock-