"Thank you for showing my listing. Please provide your showing feedback. As you know, in this market we have to do anything to get a house sold."
This was the first feedback request I recently received on a listing I showed in Elkridge, Maryland. The second one was simply shortened to: "Please let me know - we have to do anything to get this one sold." Had the house been in good or even acceptable condition I would not think too much about this statement, but it was not. I am quite good about providing feedback and actually put some thought into it. I'm honest and provide my opinion as well as my clients' impressions. This one, however, had me puzzled:
What exactly are you asking me to do Mr. Lister? Highlight the plush cheap carpet to my clients because you listed it in your remarks as a "feature"? Sell the windows as "new" even though they are clearly not? Ignore the fact that you failed to disclose the need for masks in order to view the house? Turn a blind eye on the mold growing on the basement walls? Downplay the overwhelming moisture smell? Make a joke about the humidifier you have draining into the toilet? Whatever it is, I will not be part of it. I respectfully disagree, in this market - or any other market - we do not have to do "anything" to get a house sold.
Here's what we do have to do:
- live, breathe and work by the REALTOR® CODE OF ETHICS
- educate our buyers and sellers to the best of our abilities
- point them in the right direction for everything we are not experts in - financing, inspections/repairs, title work etc.
- listen to our clients & gain a deep understanding about their wants and needs, assist them to accomplish that or as close to as possible -
always have their best interest at heart
- establish and keep open lines of communication at all times with all parties involved
- be truthful and decline a listing if we are asked to "cover up" or engage in unlawful practices
While it is true that buyers are not exactly lined up nowadays or bidding above and beyond a property's value - thank goodness for that - it does not mean we have to do "anything".
So whatever it is you are asking me to do, I not only disagree but I decline - I hold myself to a HIGHER STANDARD.