It's not unusual for home buyers to drive around sign calling wanting to see a house they are parked in front of. Why shouldn't a real estate agent drop whatever they're doing and run over to show the people the house? (Forgetting for a moment that meeting strangers at an empty house has cost people their lives.)
Here's why it's not in the Buyer's best interests to see houses this way:
1. You, the Buyer, walk into a house and LOVE IT! You will want more information about the home - like the Seller's Disclosure, history, and any available financial details. Part of preparing for a showing trip is gathering information so that most of the pertinent questions can be answered while you are still in that house.
2. The Buyer has not yet told their agent about their needs, wants and preferences. If the Realtor knew this, the Buyer would be seeing 4 or 5 homes which meet their needs. Not taking the time beforehand to find out what the Buyer really wants and needs means the Buyer will be wasting valuable time looking at homes that will not work for them.
3. The Buyer Client needs to compare each home to the others so that they can determine which one goes to their Top 3 List and which homes are eliminated as unacceptable for them. When your perceptions are fresh, you can better compare each homes' negatives and positives.
4. Sellers often require 24 hour notice for a showing. It may not be ideal for the impulsive Buyer but it is quite common for home sellers in Kansas City to be juggling children, work schedules, weddings, and funerals while their home is on the market. Scheduling showings a day or two in advance allows the Buyer to see all the homes they want to see in an organized manner.
5. The Buyer could be unwittingly giving up some of their rights to representation. This may not mean anything to the Buyer who is caught up in the excitement of seeing the beautiful home of their dreams (the agent came right over - it's a sign!) but can have serious consequences when it comes to Contract Negotiations, Inspections, and Closing.
Buyer Clients deserve to be able to see homes in a relaxed and organized manner. Choosing a home to buy is a monumental decision. Their Realtor prepares showing trips so the Buyer can relax and focus on how they feel and what they think about each house. The Buyer should not have to worry about the details of the showing trip or feel forced into making premature decisions.
When an unknown agent declines to show you a house, they are doing it out of respect for you, the Buyer.
Maria Morton, Realtor. Leading Edge Society 2010
. Apples and Carrots ONLY! ..ALL KANSAS CITY REAL ESTATE MLS PRICES AND VOLUME OF SALES for June 2011
Live Laugh Play Love Learn .... Selling A House Is Like Making An Omelet .... Through An Agent's Eyes ..... Brookside's Armour Hills Gardens ...... Extraordinary Home in Hyde Park .... The Second Showing .....
♫ ♪ m. 816-560-3758 o. 816-410-5499 ♫ Prudential Kansas City Realty 435 Nichols Rd, Kansas City, MO 64112 .*Information obtained from Heartland MLS is deemed reliable but not guaranteed. **This is an eclectic blog combining a little business with pleasure; please consult a licensed professional before making life altering decisions. Maria Morton, Realtor©, SRES is a Kansas City Real Estate Agent licensed in MO & KS and affiliated with Prudential Kansas City Realty 816.410.5499.o Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of anyone other than Maria Morton Copyright © 2011 *Why Can't I See The House Right Now?!*