There are many ways to enjoy a wood burning fireplace or woodstove, but the most important way is SAFELY.
- Have your chimney or woodstove inspected and cleaned annually by a certified chimney specialist.
- Clear the area around the hearth of debris, decorations and flammable materials.
- Always use a metal mesh screen with fireplaces. Leave glass doors open while burning a fire.
- Keep air inlets on wood stoves open, and never restrict air supply to fireplaces. Otherwise you may cause creosote buildup that could lead to a chimney fire.
Safely Burn Fuels
- Never use flammable liquids to start a fire.
- Use only seasoned hardwood. Soft, moist wood accelerates creosote buildup.
- Build small fires that burn completely and produce less smoke.
- Never burn cardboard boxes or trash in the fireplace or woodstove
- Never leave a fire in the fireplace unattended. Extinguish the fire before going to bed or leaving the house.
- Soak hot ashes in water and place them in a metal container outside your home.
If you follow the above recommendations in all likelihood you will get the most enjoyment possible from a crackling wood fire Yes, they are energy inefficient, but they are a relaxing luxury that can only be enjoyed during the winter months.
I can't assist you with chimney sweeping, but I can assist you with PRINCE WILLIAM VA REAL ESTATE