With all the social media out there, we are trying to keep up all is out there. Google recently came out with Google + and we are still working on figuring out how to make it work with our business. Phil Faranda wrote a short list about some good features of Google + over Facebook, thought you may want to check it out for yourself too.
7 things you can do on Google + that you can't do on Facebook
- You can edit posts later- add/remove links, photos, and fix typos.
- You can "follow" people (like on Twitter) without having to be friends.
- If someone posts a bummer update, you don't feel like a schmuck when you click "+1" to be supportive the way you do with "like." You can't "like" that a guy's dog dies or they took his grandmother off the ventilator.
- If you have an Android phone and take a picture, it automatically posts to a private album for sharing later if you choose. No work. No uploads.
- Privacy and groups, which are a Rubik's cube on Facebook, are automatic, intuitive, easy, and the first step thanks to the circles concept, which takes 3 seconds to learn.
- You don't have to feel bad by not reciprocating an add the way you do with a Facebook friend request.
- If someone does add you on Google+, their basics aren't hidden behind paranoid privacy settings because the G+ setting are so much easier.
Bonus: You can go away and return without finding out you were added to some group or spammed with Mafia Wars, Farmville, or other intrusive outside application.
That last point, which I thought of after first posting this piece, is huge. Google+ is permission based. Nothing happens without your consent. With Facebook, I have to go clean the mess. As Tim O'Reilly says, Facebook doesn't get permission, they get forgiveness. That means undoing alot of crap you would never have consented to if their settings were reasonably easy to manage.
I guess my opinion is showing!
- We Are Westchester County & Metro New York Real Estate. Reach Phil at (914) 723-8900.
- J. Philip Faranda, Broker-owner, J. Philip Real Estate, LLC. Vice President, Empire Access Multiple Listing Service.
- I am one of New York's premier short sale REALTORS, serving Westchester, the Hudson Valley & Metropolitan New York.
- Free MLS Search! Register for a Free Listingbook account and search the MLS like an agent.
- I am hiring agents. We offer outstanding support, marketing resources, and pasta.All content/images, unless noted, are the property of J. Philip Faranda & may not be used without permission