Are there any solutions to finding local markets for Hwaii grown produce? Everyone I know has about given up with the Farmers Market at Kapiolani Community College, as the tourist filled busses have made both the lines and the offerings unpleasant. If I want a food court I'll go to Ala Moana! And the booths are blocked by so many tourists standing in lines or eating overpriced plate lunches or a $1.50 a slice fried tomatoe. The former fresh, local produce stands are down to perhaps three or four, accessing the bread stand is next to impossible, and the prices compared to the same goods in Chinatown are outrageous.
So time to look for a few other markets who still provide the fresh, local produce we look for, and who downplay the street food we can get at "Eat the Street" (last Friday of the month, Kakaako hosts food truck heaven with a focus on the family, 4-9pm, check it out at streetgrindz.com) or at the fav trucks scattered around Oahu (notes on the best trucks and food stands coming in another article)
1. 'Nalo Farms (Waimanalo) has a Farmers Market with more than 50 vendors on Wednesdays in the Macy's wing of Windward Shopping Center from 2:30-7:30 pm. Check it out and yelp about it!
2. Mahiku Farmers Market which was at Windward Mall is now reopened at Ben Parker Elementary in Kaneohe from 8am to 2pm on Saturdays.
3. Heeia Market is open 9am - 3pm on Sundays in Heeia State Park and offers local produce along with flowers, plants, and arts and crafts. You can also do good by buying - a portion of the proceeds benefits Kamaaina Kids Heeia Learning Center. So if you're heading towards the North Shore - check it out and let us know what you found.
City & State Open Markets on the Windward side:
1. People's Open Market has produce on Thursdays at Waimanalo Beach PArk 7:15-8:15 am; Kailua District Park 9am-10am; and Kaneohe District Park 10:45-11:45am. Get there early for the "what's in season" this week freshness.
2. Another State "Farmer's Market" similar to KCC's but as usual the folks in Kailua make the event their own. Local produce, food products, and food plates from area restaurants are sold every Thursday evening from 5-7:30 pm in the Kailua Town Center parking lot (behind Long's)
I'll be checking these out int the next few weeks and commenting on them...let me know what you think