Sometimes I feel like a cat who has lived nine lives because I have done so many different kinds of things and lived so many different places. I had a friend once tell me that no matter how much he got to know me he could never categorize me as a certain type because he always found out something new about me that totally surprised him!
So, how in the world can I write a MEME that will give you a clue about who I am? Well, here goes:
My mobile world:
- I was born in Pasadena CA and returned there years later to raise my family
- Between the 5th grade and HS I went to 6 schools and moved to NJ, back to Pasadena, to Illinois and finally graduated in Palos Verdes CA.
- I also went to 4 colleges: Colorado University at Boulder, U.C. San Diego, Chapman College's World Campus Afloat (I went all the way around the world on a ship in 4 months!)and finally, U.C. Berkeley.
- I have also lived in Arizona and now North Carolina
My wild and crazy world:
- I danced on stage at the musical HAIR at the Aquarius Theatre in Hollywood:
- I hitch-hiked in South Africa and rode an elephant in Sri Lanka
- I rode a horse to school on the first Earth Day
- I protested the Vietnam War
- I have two beautiful tattoos (one matches my daughter's)
- I was hijacked in a PSA airplane in 1973
- I was in an armed robbery while working at The GAP
- I was in the Love Ride with 20,000 Harley Davidsons led by Jay Leno
- I was a Delta Gamma and SAE Little Sister
- I have rubbed shoulders with the rich and famous and lived two blocks from a gang related shooting
- I have lobbied the Governor of California as a Trustee for CREPAC (California Real Estate Political Action Committee)
- I actually really like NASCAR racing
My professional world:
- My first career was in retailing. I was recruited by Bullock's Department Stores and by the age of 26 I was the Vice President of Sales Promotion for another department store chain: The Harris Company.
- I got my real estate license in 1991 in Pasadena while a single mom with two children. In 1999 became Director of Business Development for Dickson Podley Realtors where I focused on our branding and marketing as well as training agents.
- In 2005 my husband and I moved to Mooresville NC where I am back selling full-time at RE/MAX at the Lake
- I had the two highest priced sales in my Pasadena region in 1994, and I showed a house once during a DEA gang-related raid across the street.
My volunteer world:
- I probably spend almost half of my time doing volunteer work for numerous non-profit, real estate and political causes. I have been on about 10 board of directors, commissions, and worked on many political campaigns.
- This is where my heart is most of the time. I still think I can make a difference.
Not on my resume:
- I LOVE in-line skating as fast as I can...especially when I was in CA on the Santa Monica Bike Path:
- I love to dance, and used to do the Lindy Hop with the best in the world at the Pasadena Ballroom Dance Association. We had an annual International Swing Dance Camp on Catalina Island. Awesome dancers from as far away as Sweden and Great Britain
- My garden is my therapy. I once got the Pasadena Golden Arrow Award for the best garden on the year. These are from my Lake Norman garden!
- My most famous listing, The Blacker House, was a 1907 Greene and Greene 10,000sf Craftsman Bungalow. It was my best friend's house. When I got the listing I called the curator of the Gamble House, Randell Makinson and he asked me "What gives you the right to list The Blacker House"? I held a reception for 500 top architiects, docents and VIP's and sold the listing in 2 month. (Randell later apologized for his rude comment!). The man who purchased it spent 5 years restoring it to such a degree that I believe it will be made into a museum at some point. The book shown here was written by Randell Makinson about this restoration project and there are photos by Brad Pitt!
- I collect North Carolina Face Jugs and Snake Jugs. This is from a recent kiln sale. The potters dig their own clay and still use wood-burning kilns and hand-made glazes.