This recipe is made without butter or oils– which makes a crunchy biscotti– and they will keep for 4-6 weeks in a sealed container. I added dark chocolate chunks to half of the batter for a different taste!
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
11/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup honey
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 lemon zested
2 cups shelled pistachios, if raw… roast on baking sheet for 15 min. and cool
1. Preheat the oven to 350* and adjust racks to the middle of the oven.
2. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment or a silpat.
3. Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
4. Whisk the sugar and eggs until they are a light yellow. Whisk in the lemon zest and vanilla. Stir in the pistachios.
5. Sprinkle the dry ingredients over the wet and combine. ( I folded in about 1/2 cup of dark chocolate chunks to half the batter. )
6. Halve the dough, then halve again. Scoop 2 portions onto the 2 trays and press into rectangular flat loaves about 11/2 high. Pat down with floured hands.
7. Bake for about 25 minutes or until the loaves are golden and just beginning to crack on top. Remove from the oven and lower the temperature to 325*.
8 When loaves have cooled for about 10 minutes– slice them into biscotti cookies. Place them back on the trays on their side and bake for 7 minutes, then turn them to the other side and bake for 7 more minutes.
9. Make some coffee while they cool. Enjoy!!
More Recipes from Kathy Schowe: