Halloween is one of my favorite holidays. I mean what is not to love!? Dressing up in scary costumes, begging for candy, all the creepy decorations, haunted houses, costume parties… its all fun! But there are also some evils lurking around as well that one has to watch out for. Here is a list of good ideas to keep your younger and older kids on a safe path!
1. If you have younger kids go with them and keep them in sight as they go about there merrymaking.
2. Remind all kids how important it is to stay in your sight and not to enter any homes under any circumstances.
3. If you have older kids it is important to know their route and whom they are going with. It is also not the worst idea to plug in your zip code into the sex offender database to make sure your kids avoid these homes.
4. If you are not with your older kids make them check in every hours so you can track their process along the route. They will think you are lame but who cares!
5. Put some though into a costume as well. A costume that has been treated with fire retardant is good idea with all of the jack o lanterns burning. If kids are wearing a mask make sure that the eyeholes are big enough for peripheral vision.
6. Set a curfew for kids to by home by. If there is some deviation from that plan emphasis how important it is to call.
7. If kids are going to a party make sure it is chaperoned by adults and get the address and the phone number of the responsible party.
8. Give your kids the talk about their tricks too! Vandalism is not cool and can get them in trouble with the law. And for heavens sake leave the cats alone!
9. Make sure to talk to kids about crossing the street properly as well. Stress how important it is to look both ways due to all of the additional traffic.
10. Let kids know how important it is to not get into a car with any stranger under any circumstance no matter what the stranger says.
11. If the worst occurs and a child is snatched teach them to scream as loud as they possibly can and run to a safe place!
12. Feed your kids a filling meal prior to going out trick or treating so they are not as tempted to dig into the candy before you look it over.
13. At our house we always throw away any homemade goodies unless you know the family who made it!
14. If older kids are going out on their own and taking the family car make sure they have a full tank of gas so they don’t run out!
15. You must have fun!
While Sioux Falls, SD is a very safe community mischief can happen anywhere on Halloween. So watch your surroundings, be safe and go get some candy!