Home Maintenance Series: How to find mold in a house

Real Estate Agent with Keller Williams ELITE Realty
Hi there! This is just first of the home improvement series I'll share on my blog. Just be free to pitch in ideas related to DIY's, fixing stuff, decorating etc., so we can work on discussing them in the next few days. Well, hope this article about mold problems help.


Mold loves cool, dark and damp places. Experts often label the ceilings, plumbing lines and the kitchen closets as the most common breeding grounds. People react differently to molds, therefore the first people who can detect the presence of mold spores are the ones allergic to it. But what if you’re not?
First signs of mold presence is the change of indoor air quality. Some of your family members will feel sick (nauseated, asthma attacks, itchy nose, teary eyes) with apparently no reason at all. Visitors will be the first to smell a damp, musky odor around the house before you do. You will least likely to notice it since your nose has gone used to the smell of your home, specially there is a smoker in the house.

Another way to detect mold is to use those home test kits that can be bought online for less than $50. Use petri dishes with a medium to collect mold spores. After the indicated time period, return the test kit to the manufacturer so they can determine what type and how much spores present in the house.
mold test kit

More experienced “mold hunters” often bore holes on the walls and pull out electrical wirings to see mold growth underneath walls. They also check furnace or air-condition filters as well. Some old folks will say to trust your senses. Lock the room you want to inspect and sniff the musky smell from any cracks and corners till you find it.
The fastest way to get rid of mold growth is to use cleaning agents specifically designed for mold stains. It works well with hard surfaces like granite counter-tops but not on wood. You can clean wood but it will still just grow back. Industrial hygienists say that the only way to stop mold is to prevent moisture buildup. Inspect walls and ceilings for leaks, then fix any clog water. That’s how you solve the mold problem. You can place a moisture catcher or dehumidifier on a strategic areas of the house to help. You get rid of moisture, you get rid of mold.
Posted by

The Josh Bath Team

Keller Williams Elite Realty



Comments (0)