If I were King For a Day what rules would I make for real estate clients to improve the process of buying and selling homes?
If I Were King, These are a Few Things I Would Require of All Sellers:
- Be honest at all times.
- Give full disclosure to your agent and the buyers on any material facts.
- Return phone calls and needed documents on a timely basis.
- Allow a lock box with very few exceptions.
- Make the home available as much as possible for showings.
- Keep the yard clean.
- Have the house clean for all showings, no dishes in the sink.
- If you have a dog, tie him up or take him for a walk when there is a showing.
- Do not try to negotiate with buyers or agents on your own, let your agent represent you.
- If you think your home is worth more than all others, you probably need reality training.
- All of those collectables are clutter to potential buyers. They are not staging materials, box them up.
- Buyers do not need to see 50 pictures of your grandchildren, box them up.
- Painting your interior with bright or dark colors like orange is not fen shui; neutralize it.
- Make your home available to home inspectors, termite inspectors, appraisers, surveyors and any other professions that need access to complete the sale.
If I Were King, These are a Few Things I Would Require of All Buyers:
- Be honest at all times.
- Be loyal to the agent who is working with you and work with only that agent. Severe all ties properly before working another agent.
- When viewing property, do not make disparaging remarks about the home or the people living there, especially when others can hear you.
- Show up for appointments on time or call ahead if you are going to be late.
- Do not make silly offers on properties just for sport. No the seller will not take $100,000 less than market value.
- Do not ask your agent or loan officer to do anything illegal or unethical.
- Do nothing illegal or unethical.
- The agent does not have a list of properties you can flip in a month for huge profits. If they knew of one they would have already bought it.
- Get a full mortgage pre-approval with documents from a reputable lender. Your real estate agent can point you to one if you do not have one. Do not do a pre-qual over the phone with Bob's Mortgage and Hair Cutting emporium in another state.
I am sure I missed a couple. Feel free to add your favorites to this list.
As a professional REALTOR® I go over items on this list with my clients before we enter into a business relationship. You are not doing your clients a favor by allowing items on this list to happen. They may cause them to lose time, money or worse.
Other King For a Day Posts:
- King For a Day Series - Mortgage Industry
- King For a Day Series - Handymen
- King For a Day Series - Home Inspectors
- King For a Day Series - Escrow Officers
- King For a Day Series - Real Estate Agents