Halloween Pumpkin Carving was always a tradition around our house. Spending hours carefully carving those faces. Each person meticulously personalizing their pumpkin. Then we would proudly display our crowning achievement on the porch and what would you find a couple days later? A shriveling rotting mess. This year I came across this suggestion for preserving your hard work for a little longer...
Here are the simple steps:
- Remove dirt: Wipe the exterior surfaces of the pumpkin clean using a damp cloth.
- Make a bleach solution of1 tablespoon of bleach (typical brand name "Clorox) per quart of water and put it in a spray bottle.
- Spray the pumpkin inside and all cut areas of the pumpkin with the solution. This will kill much of the surface bacteria and mold that cause rotting.
- Let it penetrate and dry for about 20 minutes
- Next, rub all of the carved or cut surfaces with petroleum jelly. This will keep out new bacteria and molds as well as dramatically reduce the dehydration!
- Wipe away excess with a paper towel
This process should extend the life of your pumpkin for 1-2 weeks.