There are plenty of things to do in the city of Irvine, especially if money is not an issue. But, what can you do without breaking the bank? I decided to put together a top ten list of things you can do all for under $10.00...enjoy!
1. Hot Air Balloon Rides - The Great Park in Irvine allows visitors the opportunity to take a hot air balloon ride for absolutely FREE! Although the balloon is tethered to the ground, you still get to soar 400 feet above the ground and take in the views of the city. Here is a link to check out directions and hours of operation. http://www.ocgp.org/visit/balloon/ There are also many other free and low-cost events offered up by The Great Park, just check out their website for all the details. http://www.ocgp.org/
2. Woodbridge Dollar Movies 5 - Starplex Cinemas - It would be hard to argue that there is a cheaper date or family fun day than the Woodbridge Dollar Movies. Ticket prices are $2.00 per person everyday except Tuesdays when it is only $1.00 per ticket. Couple that with a hot dog for $1.00 and you are in business. This movie theater has eight different movies to choose from and they change weekly. Add this website to your favorites. http://starplexcinemas.com/
3. Frisbie Golf - A good golf disk will run you about $10.00, but that's all you need to get you out on the course. This nine hole course is located at Deerfield Community Park - 55 Deerwood West.
4. Day At The Lake - There are two lakes located in the community of Woodbridge and both offer plenty of things to do for the family. You can feed the ducks, kids can hang out at the playground, have a picnic, walk around the lake, or go fishing (adults will need a license). The lakes are beautiful and a great way to spend a sunny day.
5. Pick A Park - It seems like you can pretty much throw a rock and hit a park in the city of Irvine, many complete with playgrounds, plenty of space for volleyball, bocce ball, or anything else you choose to do. Some of my favorite parks are - Bill Barber - 4 Civic Center Plaza, Heritage Park - 14301 Yale Avenue, and if you have a skateboarder in the family you should check out Harvard Park - 14701 Harvard Ave.
For a list of all of the parks in Irvine, go to: http://www.cityofirvine.org/cityhall/cs/classreg/default.asp
6. Irvine Spectrum - Irvine is home to an The Irvine Spectrum, an amazing open air mall, with a vast array of shopping, dining, even free live music. Complete with a Ferris Wheel ($4.00 per ride), Merry Go Round ($3.00 per ride), and water pads for the kids (Free). If you aren't interested in doing any of these, you can always buy a drink at Starbucks and do a little people watching or window shopping...all for under $10.00!
7. Hiking - The only money spent to go hiking is the gas to get there, a bottle of water, and you snack of choice. Here are a couple of links to some relatively easy hikes in the area.
8. Biking/Walking Paths - Assuming you already own a bike, there are many bike paths throughout the city. If you don't own a bike, grab a pair of shoes and walk the paths.
9. Irvine Museum - Open Tuesday thru Saturday from 11am-5pm. General Admission is only $5.00 and Children, Seniors, and Students are all free of charge. Go on the 2nd Wednesday of each month and admission is free for everyone.
10. Beaches - Although there aren't any beaches in Irvine, for under $10.00 you drive to and from some of the most beautiful beaches around. Newport Beach is just 10 miles away while Huntington Beach and Laguna Beach are only 15 miles. Get there early and you have a good shot at finding free parking!
There you have it...10 things to do in the city of Irvine for under $10.00. So, the next time you're feeling like there is nothing to do, print out this list and start marking them off, one by one!