The Maui Makani Classic - (Press Release)
WAILUKU, Maui, Hawai`i – The County of Maui is pleased to welcome the return of professional windsurfing to Ho`okipa Beach Park.
The Maui Makani Classic kicks off on October 27 and runs until November 1st, with competition running three days out of the six day window. The Classic is the championship leg for the American Windsurfing Tour and marks the return of the sport to Ho`okipa, the international mecca of windsurfing.
“There is no better place for windsurfing than right here on Maui, and we are proud to be hosting world class events once more,” said Mayor Alan Arakawa. “What Halloween does for Lahaina, big windsurfing events will do for Paia.
We’re going to get our economy going one town at a time if we have to.”
The contest has reached its 100 competitor limit and the wait list continues to grow as the excitement mounts for the long anticipated return of windsurfing to Ho`okipa. There are competitors traveling to Maui from over 20 countries including Argentina, Chile, China, South Korea, Morocco, Ireland and Japan. There are five divisions for each event: expert, amateur, youth, masters and women. Competitors may sign up for one age division and/or one skill division.
Windsurfing at Ho`okipa usually attracts hundreds of spectators. In order to help with traffic congestion in the area, free parking will be provided at Old Maui High School in Hamakuapoko and free shuttle bus services provided by the Maui County Veterans Association and the Disabled American Veterans will continually run throughout the days of competition. There will be no parking allowed on the sides of the highway. The event is free and open to the public.
In addition to the windsurfing competition there are a number of Makani Classic events to which the public is invited, including:
- Makani Classic opening night party at the Kahului Ale House, October 26, 8 p.m.
- Makani Classic Opening Ceremony, Ho`okipa Beach Park, Oct. 27, 10 a.m.
- Goya and Quatro Party, Pauwela Cannery in Haiku, 6 to 10 p.m.
- Fourth Friday in Paia, 6 to 9 p.m.
- Maui Ultra Lounge Party, Neil Pryde in Kahului, 6 to 9 p.m.
- Pizza with the Pros, Flatbread Pizza in Paia, 6 to 10 p.m.
- Makani Classic closing ceremonies, hosted by Maui Babe and held at the Maui Tropical Plantation, featuring entertainment, food, cash bar and award presentations, Nov. 1 at 5 p.m., tickets $10 per person.
For more information check out www.americanwindsurfingtour.com (http://www.americanwindsurfingtour.com/ )