It's that time of the year again when families throughout Shasta County (and the world for that matter) begin to make plans for their annual Christmas traditions which, for many include the cutting of a fresh Christmas tree!
Christmas tree cutting season opened Tuesday, Nov. 1, in most areas. We've put together this information to help you decide in which direction to go for your tree cutting experience. Be sure to get your permits early to avoid the rush, we learned that a long time ago!
- Shasta Trinity Forest: Permits for the Shasta-Trinity can be purchased through Dec. 23 by mail or in person at the California Welcome Center (at the Anderson Outlet Mall). The center is open Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday-Sunday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Each permit costs $10 and there is a limit of one permit per household. Regulations, cutting instructions and a map of the Christmas tree cutting area will be issued with the permit. To request a permit by mail or for tips on tree cutting and tree maintenance, visit the Shasta-Trinity National Forest website at www.fs.usda.gov/stnf and click on Christmas Tree Cutting Permit sales at the bottom of the page.
- Shasta Lake Visitor Information (U.S. Forest Service) is another location where you can obtain your tree cutting permit. They are located at 14255 Holiday Rd., Redding CA 96003 just past Shasta Lake City in the Mountain Gate Community. For hours, please call (530) 275-1589 as their schedule fluctuates.
- Lassen Forest (Lake Almanor Basin): Permits for the Lassen National Forest are $10 per tree and are sold through December 17th. Permits are sold at the Mineral Work Center, 38795 Highway 36 East, from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. on Saturdays only, Nov. 26-Dec. 17. Permits may also be purchased through the mail or online at: www.fs.usda.gov/lassen.
- Spend a family weekend in the beautiful Lassen Forrest near Lake Almanor and cut your own Christmas Tree! While you're there, take the Christmas Boutique tour which takes place from November 4th-6th in Greenville! If live in the area, or visiting plan to attend Chester's Christmas Tree lighting on November 25, 2011. Call 530-258-4280 for details.
- Plumas County Tree Cutting Permits: Make your family outing to Plumas County even more memorable by including some local holiday traditions such as a ride in a horse drawn wagon or participating in a tree lighting ceremony complete with food, song, and merriment. Warning: You may have to include an extra day to take in all the festive shopping opportunities. Permits are $10 and may be cut until December 24th. To write for a permit, please write to Christmas Tree Permit | P.O. Box 11500 Quincy, CA 95971 or call 530-283-2050.
- If you're looking for a fun experience, we recommend http://northwoodstreefarm.com/ - a "choose and cut" tree farm on Lake McCumber Rd., 8 miles east of Shingletown. Another option is George's Choose & Cut Christmas Tree Farm, 20 miles East of Red Bluff. 33005 Plum Creek Road, Paynes Creek, CA 96075. Phone: 530-713-8350. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Open from the day after Thanksgiving to December 20, 9:00 am to 4:00 pm daily.
- If you're headed towards the Chico, CA area, visit Mountain View Trees in Paradise, CA. Five varieties of U-pick Christmas trees, tall trees are available, wreaths, picnic area, Precut trees Christmas trees, too, gift shop, refreshments, flame retardant is available, farm animals, picnic tables, year-round school tours, private parties 1896 Mountain View Drive, Paradise, CA 95969. Phone: 530-872-0165 or 530-872-0435. Email: email@example.com. Open: Daily from the Friday after Thanksgiving until sold out or December 24 ; 10:00 am until 7 pm. Weekdays: 9:00 am to 5:00 pm weekends.
OTHER LOCATIONS WHERE TREE CUTTING PERMITS ARE AVAILABLE:
• Eagle Lake Ranger Station, 477-050 Eagle Lake Road, Susanville, CA., 96130, 257-4188, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; Saturdays, 8 a.m. to noon.
• Almanor Ranger Station, P.O. Box 767, 900 E. Highway 36, Chester, CA., 96020, 258-214, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; Saturdays, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• Butte Meadows Work Center, 7288 Humbolt Road, Butte Meadows, CA., 95942, 258-2141, Nov. 25, 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m., Saturday and Sundays, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. No mail-in requests accepted
• Old Station Information Center, junction of Highways 89 and 44 in Old Station, Nov. 25, 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturdays; and Sundays 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. No mail-in requests accepted
• Hat Creek Ranger Station, P.O. Box 220, 43225 E. Highway 299, Fall River Mills, CA., 96028, 336-5521, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
• Lassen National Forest headquarters, 2550 Riverside Drive, Susanville, CA., 96130, 257-2151, Monday-Friday. 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.