Many customers are using generators for the first time during the storm and should make sure that the generator has been properly installed to avoid back feed into CL&P's system that might cause injury to employees or anyone near a downed line. Generators should be properly grounded and should never be plugged directly into a home's wiring. Generators should be placed outside and away from the house to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.
DO NOT USE generators, charcoal or gas grills, gas lanterns or camping stoves indoors or in an enclosed area, like a garage or basement. These items should be used outdoors only. DO NOT use a generator in a garage even if the garage doors and windows are open. Ventilation is not sufficient and could result in carbon monoxide build-up inside of your home. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include: headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, sleepiness and confusion. If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, IMMEDIATELY leave your home and dial 9-1-1 from OUTSIDE of your home.
If your electric meter or the electric cable attached to your home has been damaged, you will need to contact a licensed electrician to make the needed repairs. (See diagram of electrical hookup to house). When completed, please call the Building Inspection Department at (860) 652-7521 to schedule an inspection. When you call, the Town will need your name, address and electrician’s name and CT license number.
HOME ELECTRICITY PRECAUTIONS (POWER SURGE PRECAUTIONS)
Homeowners should unplug all surge protectors and electrical appliances such as TVs, computers, refrigerators, freezers, etc. It is recommended to shut off all breakers including your main electrical panel breaker. Once the power is restored to your home turn on the main breaker first. Then turn one breaker on at a time. If your lights get extremely bright or dim, shut off the main breaker and call CL&P. If the breaker keeps tripping (shutting off) do not try to force it, call an electrician.
DOWN POWER LINES
It is strongly advised that if you have downed power lines and trees on your property to stay away from them. Avoid attempting to block the area with caution tape and accidentally touching the wires as they may be live. If needed, use cones to identify the area of downed wires.
SEWAGE GRINDER PUMPS
Those customers who utilize sewage grinder pumps for sanitary sewage disposal should restrict water use (toilets/sinks) unless your pump is tied into an emergency power system.
If frozen pipes might be an issue, it is recommended faucets be allowed to trickle.
Throw away food that has an unusual odor, color, or texture. When in doubt, throw it out.
Throw away perishable foods (including meat, poultry, fish, eggs and leftovers) in your refrigerator when the power has been off for 4 hours or more.
Thawed food that contains ice crystals can be refrozen or cooked. Freezers, if left unopened andfull, will keep food safe for 48 hours (24 hours if half full).
While the power is out, keep the refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible.