Your treasures are treasure to you but to the people looking at your home for sale they are clutter and distractions. While it may be hard to pack up your treasures it is just one step that will get you moving out sooner with a escrow check in hand! So get a head start on that moving process and get some stuff packed up and into a storage unit if need be. Show the buyer what they want to see your home!
Beauty Is In The Eye Of The Beholder, Except When You Are Selling Your Home
It is sad but true, Beauty Is In The Eye Of The Beholder, Except When You Are Selling Your Home. Here is why; there are some universal truths when you are trying to appeal to a large number of people and you must be mindful of this if you want to sell your home and pocket some serious cash.
In no particular order here are some pitfalls to avoid:
1) While you may love your porcelain dog collection, your target buyer may not.
2) That yard art you lovingly placed, will look like clutter to your target buyer.
3) The wall paper you meticulously chose 12 years ago will appear dated to your target buyer.
4) The family pet who resides in your home will give off a doggy smell to your target buyer. We dog lovers become habituated to their smell.
5) The spare bedroom used to house your "extras" for jewelry making, scrap booking, etc. will detract from the fact you have a nice sized spare bedroom. Your buyer will only see a home with a junk bedroom.
6) The overgrown shrubs you think add character to your exterior will make your home appear dowdy and unkempt to your target buyer.
7) Toys strewn across your living area will detract from your great floor plan and turn off your target buyer.
8) Tons of family photos may be heart warming to you but distracting to your target buyer.
9) A refrigerator plastered with magnets, beloved artwork from your child and schedules will detract from the amenities your kitchen has to offer your target buyer.
10) The garage used to house "the beloved hot rod" that is a work in progress with grease stains on the concrete, will send the buyers right out the front door.
Selling your home is a small snapshot in time and keeping your home in tip top, non-cluttered shape will garner you a higher asking price when your buyer comes a knocking. While it may be inconvenient to "live" a certain way for this time period, you will thank your Real Estate Professional at the closing table. So when your Real Estate Professional says; Beauty Is In The Eye Of The Beholder, Except When You Are Selling Your Home, you now know why.