How to get help with your mortgage

Mortgage and Lending

Have you fallen behind on your mortgage payments or already in foreclosure? Consumer advocates, loan counselors and government housing officials support these recommendations about what to do:

1. First try to contact your loan servicer. Check the servicer's website to see what help is available for borrowers needing assistance.

2. Contact a mortgage help hotline, your state's department of housing and/or a HUD-approved mortgage loan counseling service.

3. Get a HUD-approved counseling service to take your case and work with your loan servicer to try and get it resolved without foreclosure. Avoid foreclosure services that charge you a fee. HUD-approved counseling agencies are generally free of charge.

4. Ask the counselor about the possibility of getting a loan modification — changing the terms of your existing loan to ones you can afford.

5. Attend a foreclosure prevention workshop event in your area to get additional information face-to-face.

A good source of reliable information can be found on the Department of Housing and Urban Development's (HUD) website.

Posted by

Aloha Mortgage Loans

Comments (0)