After many weeks of door knocking, calling and emailing people i do not know and that do not know me, flyering neighborhoods near and far, and feeling very light on the business that has come my way as a result of all that effort, i decided to share some of my findings and conclusions:
1. Since many of us have spheres of influence ranging from several dozen to several hundred, we need to recognize that there is gold right there in our own backyard. The impact i have on people that know me is incredibly more profound than the one in a hundred i might bump into where there is no relationship.
2. I know how obvious #1 sounds but we really need to ponder and understand the value of having friends, neighbors, and associates that are not immediately defensive as we put on our real estate hats and talk business. Almost all of our friends and neighbors will be home buyers and sellers someday.
3. Tapping into the vast pool of people we encounter everyday is going to pay much higher returns than going out and expecting our elevator speech or front door pitch to turn heads and result in new business. I have made firm connections with my private banker, landscaper, insurance agent, loan officer, title company officer, handyman, dentist, carpet cleaner, carpet layer, trust attorney, financial planner, stockbroker, and local PTA committee with 8 fellow parents like myself.
4. One major reason for these warm associations leading to more business is that we get to be of service to many of them and help them with their businesses, goals, families, kids, etc. This is a key point. We are generally able to help people we know much more easily than strangers.
5. Lastly, there are no more valuable business friends of ours than past clients. We must carry forward with fresh and caring relationships with every single one of them-- including the ones that have moved out of town. Where we have demonstrated our character and competence we must build onto our referral business.
i still do some door knocking to help me remember how much i treasure my current group of friends and associates.
all the best,
douglas moore. alain pinel realtors, walnut creek ca 925 708 8988