River Crest Country Club, Fort Worth
River Crest, Fort Worth’s oldest, most storied country club, opened in the spring of 1911 with a golf tournament, an outdoor barbecue for 500 Fort Worth guests, and a sale of surrounding home sites.
Located five miles from downtown Fort Worth, the club was the first in Texas to include a residential housing development in Fort Worth on its acreage. River Crest Country Club was the first to stage a statewide women’s golf tournament, and its members founded the Women’s Texas Golf Association in 1916.
The 18-hole "River Crest" course at the River Crest Country Club facility in Fort Worth, Texas features 6,368 yards of golf from the longest tees for a par of 70 . The course rating is 70.8 and it has a slope rating of 132 on Bermuda grass. Designed by Williams, Gill & Associates, Inc., the River Crest golf course opened in 1911. Jody Payne manages the course as the General Manager.
River Crest is built around a country club and golf course. The streets are tree shaded and quiet and have sidewalks. Two story houses predominate and many have basements. Styles of architecture range from wood framed Prairiesque, stucco Mediterranean to Tudor Revival, and many of the homes have views of the golf course. Thirty-one structures in the River Crest area are listed in the Tarrant County Historic Resources Survey published by the Historic Preservation Council for Tarrant Co. and now owned by Historic Fort Worth, Inc.
Northcrest streets slope and curve around the hillside, providing many interesting lots and architecture. The newer homes in River Crest include ranch and contemporary styles and are custom designed to fit the terrain.