The town of Hebron is located at the axis of land between the Atlantic Ocean and the Chesapeake Bay. It was, as many small towns were and many still are, a collection of buildings amidst an expanse of farms and woodlands. The farms and woodlands around Hebron were first populated principally by Virginians who came to seek land and a closer proximity to northern markets. Some came to enjoy the greater religious freedom available in Maryland and some of the first to settle on the Wicomico River were Quakers after Virginia outlawed the religion in 1660, although, most settlers came for the fifty free acres given away by the Maryland Propriety government.
Hebron lies six miles from both Salisbury and Quantico, communities established in the pre-Colonial era. At the juncture of Route 50 and Route 147 there is Old Spring Hill Church built in 1725 and three miles south of Hebron on the Wicomico River there is Green Hill Church built in 1733 of brick brought from England. Both of these churches are Protestant Episcopal and predate the dominance of Methodism which was promoted in the area by the likes of Francis Asbury and George Whitefield.
In 1927 Hebron had a population of 1100 people. Today the number is about the same though that figure is misleading since the town limits are quite small. Much of the farmland has been developed and trees are being cleared to put up more houses. The changing landscape of Hebron today is indicative of a larger phenomenon. Land is still cheap and plentiful but no longer is the main occupation agriculture and no more are manufacturing centers dependent on railroads and ready access to waterways.
The tiny old train station is still there, though, boarded up and ignored by passers-by. Hebron does not preserve its history but instead lives its history, having to redefine itself but trying not to lose the quality of life which typifies the small towns of the Eastern Shore.
Hebron, MD Firehouse