You have been searching everywhere for that perfect home, but it eludes you. You’re ready to take that next step by constructing a new custom home. With so many new home builders in Louisville; how do you choose?
Make a list of features you absolutely have to have in your new home. Then make another list of features you’d like to have, but are not necessary. Consider how spaces in the home will be used and what rooms are most important.
Decide whether you want a custom built home or a production built home. Custom homes will cost more but will bring a higher list price should you ever decide to sell. Plus, you will be happier in the long run because you made the choices.
Look at current new homes in your area. Drive around new subdivisions and pick out home styles that you like.
Make a list of builders you are interested in working with. Keep all the information in a folder or binder for reference.
Narrowing the choices
Check the accreditations. Are they a member of the National Association of Home Builders as well as the local Home Builders Association?
Find out if they have a good reputation. Do they have a good rating with the Better Business Bureau? What are people saying about them on online review sites (Yelp, Merchant Circle, Google Places, etc.) and social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, etc.)?
Questions to ask the builder
1. Are you licensed, bonded, and insured, as well as your subcontractors?
2. Do you obtain all necessary permits, or does the home buyer handle that?
3. May I have a copy of your contract to review?
4. Who is responsible for getting the construction loan?
5. What is your typical time frame to build a home? How often is it necessary to extend that time frame?
6. What kind of communication can be expected through the home building process?
7. How long have you been in the home building business? How many homes have you built in that
8. Can you provide bank references?
9. What kind of warranty do you offer?
Finding help with the home building process
Many people find it overwhelming to go through the building process alone. A licensed real estate professional can assist you with each step of the process, from site selection, to financing options, to market trends in new home decor. Ask your real estate agent if they have new construction experience or expertise. Their professional guidance will help you navigate each step of the process for a smooth transition into your perfect new home!