They say it's better to give than to receive, and I whole-heartedly agree with that. Growing up, and even today, my favorite gifts are those that are hand-made, simple gestures of love that really don't cost anything.
1. When was the last time you paid a visit to an elderly person or a widow? Whether at their home or an assisted living facility, I have seen the joy and excitement in their eyes when they see you walking up to them. It's very special and free.
2. Invite a neighbor over for dinner this month. I know what you'll say...busy right? We can come up with so many excuses but imagine how pleasantly surprised your neighbor would be and how far that simple gesture will go. It's one of those things where you say to yourself, "I'm sure glad we had them over"...it feels great!
3. Next time you go to your local grocery store, post office, restaurant or that frequently visited coffee shop, drop off a Christmas card to that person who's always ready to help you, watch their reaction!
4. Forgive someone. Need I say more? Just ask yourself, "why harbor these feelings any longer?"
5. Re-gift: I don't know about you but I can think of at least five items in my home that I can regift. Examples; an old PC that's functional but you no longer use, maybe the neighbor's kid needs one but can't afford one. How about a tool in your garage or some item that you stare at daily but haven't used in years? A kitchen item, a winter coat, baby clothes, etc.
6. Offer to baby-sit. I hear babysitting is getting very expensive and often times those young parents just starting out in life don't go out because they can't afford it.
7. Recycle your magazines, pass them on to someone with similar interests. I recently started doing this with a friend - it's really a great thing, we love it!
8. What's Your Talent? What do you specialize in, a skill, whatever and how can you bless someone else ewith it?
9. Call a family member. I have family members all over the country and I have to admit if it wasn't for Facebook, I wouldn't be in touch with them. How about surprising them with a phone call? "Hey cousing...just called to say Merry Christmas." Lol.
10. Cyber-gift. Create a free video, greeting cards or free downloads for your loved ones! Here's a video on just that.
Have fun taking up some of these ideas and remember...it's the thought that counts!
Comments? Thoughts? Add your input, we welcome it!