Tyghre's Green Tip

By
Real Estate Agent with Coldwell Banker Burnet

Whether you're doing the dishes or wiping down the counter, be sure that your sponge isn't leaving behind a toxic mess. Soppy kitchen sponges and dishrags are notorious breeding grounds for bacteria. And did you know that Antibacterial products are usually treated with the pesticide triclosan, which provides no additional protection beyond that of plain soap.  Not only that, but when triclosan is exposed to water treated with chlorine, it can form the probable human carcinogen chloriform. 

 

There are "greener" ways to lighten the bacteria load in sponges.

 

• Wring sponges out after each use, and, between uses, keep them as dry as possible.

 

• Disinfect sponges at least once a week by boiling them in water for three minutes or more, or soaking them in water with a splash of bleach or hydrogen peroxide. You can also pop them in the microwave for a minute or two.

 

• Never clean cutting boards used for meat with a kitchen sponge. Use a washable dishrag instead.

 

And remember, it's also a good idea to replace sponges often.

 

Just another Green Tip to keep you and your family safe! 

Comments (3)

Zen Ziejewski
Keller Williams Realty - Laguna Niguel, CA
Laguna Niguel Real Estate

What I do is use Clorox 2 bleach in the dishwater. This way it's not so damaging to my skin than regular bleach, but still has the same effect.

Nov 08, 2007 07:54 AM
Anonymous
Katie Hust
I like to put mine in the micro for 30 secs after using them.
Nov 08, 2007 02:37 PM
#2
Tyghre Collentine
Coldwell Banker Burnet - Minneapolis, MN
I do the same thing Katie.  It's much faster!
Nov 09, 2007 09:02 AM