Do you use tabbed browsing? Have you maximized your efficiency using tabbed browsing? Whether you are an real estate agent, customer or rocket scientist tabbed browsing and efficient use of bookmarks is a big time saver!
I've been using tabbed browsing with Mozilla/Firefox for years. Now IE also supports it. It is one of the biggest time-savers and focus features I've found. I'll explain "focus feature" later!
Using tabs is pretty simple. Each browser is slightly different so the actual commands may be slightly different than I describe but the concept is the same. Anytime you click on a link, instead right-click and select "Open in New Tab". You can also go to the menu area right above the web page and right-click to show options New Tab, Close Tab, Close all Tabs.
Here are a few tips that I recommend for all:
- Set up useful sets of tabs that you use frequently. As a busy agent the one I use the most contains:
- MLS System
- Tax/Property Information
- My online contact database system (Top Producer)
- My Website
- My broker's website
- My forms system
You can rearrange tabs by just drag and dropping them where you want them. Now save this set of tabs in your bookmarks/favorites.
- In IE: Go to Favorites menu and Add Tab Group to Favorites
- In Firefox: Right-click on any tab and say Bookmark All Tabs.
Name the group "My work sites". Do this for any similar set of sites you use often. I have groups set up for More Real Estate Sites (Craiglist, Zillow, Trulia...), Blogs (w/Active Rain, my blogs, my friends and families blogs), Financial (with login pages to my most used financial institutions), etc.
- Send buyers a set of useful tabs for their internet searching. Favorites and bookmarks are both easily exported and imported!
- Give your buyers a virtual tour of properties with a set of bookmarks. Use the bookmark description field to enter your personal comments about the property. You can also do this with the properties they've just gone to see (make sure to put their favorites at the top of the list).
- Setup tab set with links to your favorite affiliates sites
- Setup tab set for your clients with links to everything they'll need. Create a template and clone/tailor for each client.
There are a ton of possibilities here!
Ok, now for how I use it to keep me "focused". I use tabbed browsing to help me stay on track and keep my virtual desk space organized. If I decide to read the news for a few minutes, I'll open a NEW window with my google home page. I go through my favorite news lists and open tabs for each of the articles that I want to read. Then I just go through my tabs and read, closing the tab after reading. I give myself a set amount of time and try to stay focused. When I'm done (or pulled to do something else) I just close the window. It's like cleaning your desk with a single click.