Yamhill County is certainly one of the most beautiful places in Oregon and on the face of the planet. I have absolutely no quibble with that AND we have so much to offer than just our beauty. Do you remember that old commercial "don't hate me because I am beautiful!" I don't remember the product but I remember the tag line. Sometimes, I feel like Yamhill Country Wine Country gets the same kind of image.
Here are some of the reasons I love to live here:
1. Everything is either here or a short drive from here. Portland is about 45 mintues, the beach is about 45 mintues, Salem is about 30 minutes and the mountains about 1 hour. The jaw dropping scenery of the Columbia Gorge is about 1 hour from here. Visit www.yamhillvalley.org for a detailed roster of restaurants, lodging, attractions and services.
2.Agricultural bounty surrounds us in every season. Whether you prefer organic farming practices of vegetables, fruits, chickens, eggs, beeef, pork, lamb or wine, you will find a resource for it here in Yamhill County.
3. If you are a gardener, we are surrounded by nurseries growing stock of every description. How about cutting your own Christmas Tree? Yep! you can do it here. Yamhill County is home to a number of growers.
4. Have I mentioned the wine yet? Only because I have been restraining myself. With over 20 years experience in the wine industry from outside sales to tasting room management as well as writing a weekly column, wine is one of my passions. There is wine available here for every budget and every palate. Some of my favorite boutique wineries include www.coehlowinery.com, www.walnutcitywineworks.com, www.amityvineyards.com,www.yamhillvalleyvineyards.com and www.chateaubianca.com
5. We have the Spruce Goose in all of her glory as the centerpiece to an aviation museum that is filled with fascinating information. visit www.sprucegoose.com for more information
6.McMinnville boasts one of the most charming and vibrant downtowns in the state. A stroll down Third Street gives you options for dining, shopping, handmade chocolates, wine, movie theater or book shops. Visit www.downtownmcminnville.com for more information.
7. Our property prices are still within reach. While our appreciation rate has continued at a steady pace, we have not seen the huge increases in base prices that have occured in other parts of the state. Go to my website www.bethcaster.com to find current listings and other local information.
8. We are home to Linfield College and George Fox University. Both private colleges have specialities that draw students from around the world.
9. Our communities are truly small town communities. We are still corny enough to have festivals to celebrate UFOs, turkeys, historic events, fun days and daffodils.
10. We are a community dedicated to children and their well being. Members of the community annually participate in find raising events to sponsor after school activities, scholarships, parks and cultural events for our children.
Come visit us!