MEME'd by: jeff belonger
My name is Aaron Mills from Orange County CA (No we don't call it "The OC" and no we are not all that beautiful in real life.) and I am new to AR. I joined last week thanks to a friend and colleague that knew I would love this. So here are our 5 things not everyone knows about us....
- On Sunday, July 8th 2007, our 5 month old baby girl Riley was tentatively diagnosed with Infant Botulism. All the symptoms were there, but the test results would not be back for a few days. She had slowly over the course of 2 days become totally parolized, would not eat, cry, or even hold up her own head. We had just been transferred from Kaiser Anaheim to Kaiser LA, & Riley was getting weaker every hour. When we arrived at Kaiser LA, the doctors were waiting & told us that they wanted to treat her for Infant Botulism ASAP & not wait for the test results. Thank God for smart, efficient & caring doctors. They had to order the medication from the east coast. It was one of the longest days we ever experienced. Mindy & I felt at such a loss as we witnessed our precious baby girl weakening & heard her horrible moaning. Every time she moaned, it just broke our hearts. We were so scared.
You see, Infant Botulism is very rare. With only 100 cases on average a year in the US, most ER Doctors don't even know what the symptoms look like. However if left untreated a baby will die within a matter of a week . Not this baby!
The first of God's many miracles was that the medication arrived much quicker than expected; & they were able to administer it to her that night! The medication is called Baby BIG & cost $45,000! The amazing thing is that only one dose is needed to trap the poisonous toxin.
(God - Thank you so much for Baby BIG)
Each day Riley showed improvement - moving her arms & legs, no more moaning, staying more alert, making eye contact, smiling, & eventually gaining head control. Slowly but surely they took her off of her IVs, off her oxygen support, & she even pulled her feeding tube out on her own! We worked with her on her feeding & by Thursday afternoon, she was taking a bottle. I often tell people that being a Father is the best thing in the world as you get to watch your child learn to do such little yet amazing things... BUT God has blessed Mindy and I with the opportunity to see our child learn to do these things twice.
Nurses with over 20 years experience said that they remember when there was no Baby BIG, & babies stayed in the hospital intibated (sp?) for 7-9 months. Even with Baby BIG, we were told we could be in the hospital anywhere from 14 - 40 days; but Riley is a Rockstar! She was discharged 1 week later & we are at home now! God has blessed us so much!
Here she is today... happy, healthy and strong.
I know after all that these seem silly, but here you go...
2. We own and live in the home that my Grandmother raised my Father in because I thought it would be cool to purchase it after my 15th real estate transaction at the age of 19. And since we got married we have just never moved.
3. Mindy and I have been married for 5 years and have been together for 13 years.
4. We have 2 Golden Retrievers and love to take them camping and hiking.
5. I fish 50+ days out of the year, but Mindy not only hates the taste of fish, but can't stand the smell either.