Ritu has put these easy to use green tip together for us. You will be amazed at what everyday around the home ingredient's can be used for, a must read. Please go to original post to leave comments ~ Happy New Year 2012.
Every individual effort, Every step counts to make our home and planet green. Here are few tips I use at my own home.
1. If you are decorating your home with fresh flowers, keep cut flowers fresh longer by adding a teaspoon baking soda to the water in the vase.
2. Odor: Boil water and add few drops of Vanilla extract OR cinnamon sticks and cloves or a few drops of an essential oil you like on the stove. This will neutralize/eliminate any odor in your home.
3. Clean the oven glass ( I used this tip at my own home), make a paste of Baking soda and water. Let it sit for about 15-20 mins. Wipe it with damp cloth.
4. Clean the microwave by mixing 1/2 cup white distilled vinegar and 1/2 cup water in a microwave-safe bowl. Bring it to a rolling boil inside the microwave (about 5 min). Baked-on food will be loosened, and odors will disappear. Wipe clean.
5. Large items: Sprinkle baking soda on your upholstery's, mattress or carpets to remove odor. Sprinkle and let it sit for 15-20 mins. vacuum the baking soda.
6. Baby oil can also be used to polishes chrome. Apply a dab to a cotton cloth and use it to shine everything from faucets to door knobs. After that you can rub bit of car wax to avoid the built up.
7. Bathroom mold: Mold in bathroom tile grout is a common problem and can be a health concern. Mix one part hydrogen peroxide (3%) with two parts water in a spray bottle and spray on areas with mold. Wait at least one hour before rinsing or using shower.
8. For stronger garbage ddisposer cleaning, pour about 1/2 cup baking soda down the drain, then 1/2 cup vinegar. The resulting chemical reaction can break fatty acids down into soap and glycerin, allowing the clog to wash down the drain. After 15 minutes, pour in boiling water to clear residue.
9. Many ink spots, pencil, crayon or marker spots can be cleaned from painted surfaces using baking soda applied to a damp sponge. Rub gently, then wipe and rinse.
10. Garage floor: Scatter baking soda on your greasy garage floor, scrub the floor, and rinse. Instead of buying expensive degrease from home improvement store.
11. Kill weeds and grass growing in unwanted places by pouring full-strength white distilled vinegar on them. This works especially well in crevices and cracks of walkways and driveways. Beware don't over spray and I don’t recommended using this in grass as it’ll kill the grass too
12. Grout: To Clean the grout, mix half and half of Baking soda and water. Using electric old tooth brush if you have or a old tooth brush. Scrub it in circular motion. Leave it for about 10-15 mins and rinse it or if you have steam mop use that.
13. Clean Floors: Fill a bucket with warm or hot water, add a quarter of a cup of vinegar and a dash of castile soap. Dunk your rag in the bucket, ring out, and wipe down the floors.
14. Air Freshener: Cut a small square of cheese cloth place couple of spoon of baking soda tie and place it any where you want example: shoe box, closets, laundry room, trash cans, bathrooms, under the sink, basement and so on.
15. Marble, granite, or stone counter top cleaner use rubbing alcohol or vodka to wipe it.