A Fire Tragedy Waiting to Happen | Home Inspections Seattle Bellevue Everett
At a recent Home Inspection in the University District of Seattle, I found numerous problems that could result in a fire tragedy.
This 3,000 s.f. home had been remodeled int a 9 room multi-family rooming house for students.
Aside from the fire hazards created by messy students (stuff and garbage everywhere), I found the following additional fire hazards
- Knob and tube wiring buried in insulation
- Improper electrical wire splices
- Broken electrical outlets with live components exposed
- Arcing electrical outlets
- Ungrounded (3) prong outlets
- Extension cord wiring for outlets
- Exposed outdoor wiring to the storage building
- Locked electrical panel
- Exposed light bulbs in closets
- Missing fire extinguisher in the Kitchen
The building has a very high occupant count. Rooms are carved from other larger rooms and emergency egress is questionable.
Washington State Standards of Practice do not require the testing of smoke detectors. As a standard practice, I test all accessible smoke detectors.
At this property, I tested every one of the 14 smoke detectors. 14 out of 14 smoke detectors in the house are inoperative !
The property manager was with me at this inspection. I would expect the he will at least take care of the smoke detector problem.
I also sent a link to this posting to the Seattle Fire Marshall.
Schedule a Home Inspection today ! Hergert Inspection 425-652-6515
- Washington State Inspector License 619
- WSDA Structural Pest Inspector license 79988
- Over 25 years new home construction experience
- Custom Reports including digital and infrared images
- Weekend appointments available