I read this blog and knew it was something I had to repost. The signs of a natural gas leak are not to be ignored. Unfortunately 13 years ago, a dear friend's father's house exploded from a gas leak. Unfortunately, his father and his two dogs died in the explosion, there was no closure. If you smell rotten eggs, it could be the chemical that they put in gas.
Today I drove down Payne Avenue, past the home where a natural gas explosion occurred this past Monday morning. There were three people standing outside the safety gate, with notepads, talking with a Texas Gas Service employee. I stood there looking at the charred remains, wondering about this man's life. A jogger passed with her Border Collie on a leash. It was one of those surreal moments for me, when you feel like time has stopped and the world is circling around you.
On Monday morning, a man was leaving to go for his morning bike ride when he saw what he described a “swoosh” as his neighbor’s home collapsed. The owner was killed by the blast that shook the neighbor’s home off its foundation and damaged cars parked in the street. Two other people were severely injured.
It is reported that Renald Ferrovecchio, the deceased, had reported the smell of gas to the Texas Gas Service Company, more than a month prior. Others in the Crestview neighborhood also complained of a gas odor. The blast is now being investigated by the Texas Railroad Commission.
I read that Mr. Ferrovecchio had just finished remodeling his home the week before this tragedy, and planned to lease his home and move closer to his son.
I know firsthand, the hassles and headaches that go along with living in a home while it’s being renovated. I also know the wonderful satisfaction of seeing it completed, of seeing your vision brought to life. I wonder if he, like me, sometimes couldn’t wait for tomorrow, for the project to be complete, or to get where he was going. Then in an instant, after all the work and money
that had been put into that little house on Payne, after all the thought and time put into the renovation, it was all gone in an instant.
Today, flowers are accumulating on the fence of the property as a memorial.
“We are here for only a moment, visitors and strangers in the land as our ancestors were before us. Our days on earth are like a passing shadow, gone so soon without a trace.” 1 Chronicles 29:15
I pray that whatever challenge you are presented with today, whether you are stressed about selling your home, you just lost your job, or you're just completely overwhelmed, I pray that you will be filled with peace and gratitude.
"Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God." Colossians 3:16
Natural Gas Safety
Gas in its natural state has no odor, so the gas company adds a chemical called Mercaptan which smells like rotten eggs.
If you smell an unexplained odor of rotten eggs, hear a hissing noise, see water in a pond bubbling, or dirt spraying up into the air, these are all warning signs that there may be a gas leak. Even making a phone call is enough current to spark a blast. Move far away from the area before calling for help.