Do You Make any of My Top 12 SEO Mistakes?
Everywhere I turn, I see posts telling about Search Engine Optimization. The 2012 BIG Jumpstart Blog Challenge has created a lot of awareness and interest in SEO. Many of the posts are great -- but I'm the guy who reads all the "Dummies" Books and I started thinking about the mistakes that we might make.
Here is my list of things that may make that search engine spider unhappy and hurt your site.
12. No Internal links (or not enough links). Good links raise the quality of your site and the spider will like it better.
11. Broken links and bad URL's. If the spider hits broken links or URL's that never worked the spider will feel blocked and the ranking of your site will suffer.
10 No site map. Site maps make it easy for spiders and they can index your site quicker.
9. No Alt text and titles for images. Photos will not count to the spider unless it can read text. The title and Alt text can significantly help your site.
8. No use of header tags. Header tags help the spider because they allow it to weigh the words under the tag and it improves your ranking.
7. Using too many keywords that are industry jargon. Many of the terms we use every day in real estate are not terms typically used by consumers as they
6. Not using free tools.There are lots of free tools to help with keyword selection and analysis of your site -- use them. search.
5. Wrong keywords.This is an easy mistake to make. Just because a word is interesting to you, it does not mean that the potential client searching the web will use the same words. Use keyword tools.
4. No consistency. Don't just use optimization occasionally. Use it all the time and watch your analytics to see how you can improve.
3. Lack of keywords (or too many). I've seen recommendations that keywords should comprise between 2% & 4% of your text. Less than that and you are missing out. More than that and you may get penalized by the Search Engines.
2. Thin content.Your site may be visually appealing with lots of photos and/or videos, but if there is little or now text, the site will not be interesting to the spider. This also holds true if a page or post has only a few words.
1. Not focusing on the user. With all the emphasis on Search Engine Optimization, it is easy to forget the person you want to read your material. Don't get carried away with SEO.
Now that you know my list of the top 12 SEO Mistakes and you've seen some great material posted during the 2012 Big Jumpstart Blog Challenge, it's time to sit down and write. And if you have some favorite SEO mistakes please add them in your comment.
Follow my blog as I give you tips and fun facts about Latin America, expatriates, relocation and making referral income.
Latin America -- Isn't it about time you learned more about the opportunities for YOU?
Viva Latin America
If you are looking to
Buy or Sell real
Do you have questions about real estate in Latin America? We are glad to provide assistance if you are considering a real estate purchase in Latin America
We LOVE Referrals
As a thank you for reading my blog, send a real card NOW to someone you are thinking about. Postage and card are free - Just click on the SendOutCards Logo.