Mary McKnight recently introduced all of us to the blogging phenomenon of memes. She explained that "it's a thought stream carried from one person to another ... the blogging equivalent of a chain letter ... sort of a social game to build community and engender relationships."
In a brilliant stroke of genius after his amazing feat of 428 comments in a day, Jay Thompson started the ActiveRain Meme which gives him a chance to recover while the rest of us play tag in the blogosphere. Jay asked for five items about us, and then for us to 'tag' three more people.
- I have a playful and competitive side that likes to test rules and boundaries and go outside the lines, so my list of five things will probably end up being eight or nine.
- Somewhere around five years old I started playing piano. UNLV gave me a music scholarship which helped me eventually earn a degree in Finance. I've played with Woody Herman, the UNLV Jazz Ensemble, the UNLV Pep Band at Runnin' Rebel games in the 80's, on a Mississippi river boat, and with a Las Vegas cover band downtown that was televised on Dick Clark's Rockin' New Year's Eve.
- I was the president of my fraternity at UNLV (Tau Kappa Epsilon) and president of our alumni association. That would account for me taking a little longer than four years to finish my degree! My nickname was Schroeder (from Peanuts).
- Kiplinger's Personal Finance Magazine interviewed me for a cover story in November, 1996 about investing. (That's where the picture is from.) The reported emailed me after reading some of my posts online about dividend reinvestment. Even ten years ago the web was helping to make contacts!
- I hit a home run on the ESPN sports trivia show The Dream League to help my team win the grand prize. That was a really fun show - a combination of answering trivia questions and completing mini-challenges in football, basketball, softball and golf.
- Prior to real estate, I was an assistant to a stockbroker (and had my series 7 and 63 licenses), and the Ticket Operations Manager for the Las Vegas Stars, the AAA team for the San Diego Padres. If I was not in real estate today, I'd like to work in music or architecture.
- Some of my goals for 2007: to generate at least twelve transactions from the web, to get back into league tennis, to find my Yawp (shameless blog plug, but worth a visit and fun to say ... YAWP!)
- The calendar on my fridge still says November and I haven't mailed my Christmas cards yet!
I'm tagging -- Francy Thompson, Derek Wagner, Ginger and Roger Sala ... and Gary Keller and Dave Jenks (authors of The Millionaire Real Estate Agent) ... If you're going to meme, meme big! (Interesting side note - I Googled "Gary Keller real estate blog" to see if there was already something online and the first result was my blog on ActiveRain!)