Buying and selling real estate is an emotional experience. When we are buying we are trying to imagine our life in each house. When we are selling, we are trying to detach ourselves from a place in our life that has meant so much --all in order for buyers to be able to imagine their own life there. It's a delicate balance.
The other day I was flipping through a cooking catalog with beautiful pictures and product descriptions of specialty foods and kitchen equipment. One ad really caught my attention... Would you pay $59 for a pound of fried potatoes? If you are laughing hold on, because I would bet that someone out there is buying them.
Here's why some may consider the purchase (paraphrased from catalog):
- They are Latkes.
- They are classic companions of caviar and smoked salmon (strategically pictured with high $$$ products).
- They are savory, enriched with onion, and seasoned to perfection.
- They are a holiday tradition.
- They are handcrafted from a family recipe.
- They are expertly pan-fried.
- They are delicious with a crispy, golden-brown outside, and a moist tender interior.
Is your mouth watering yet? Imagine if the person writing the description had said, "Shredded potatoes, fried with onion, salt & pepper. Great with Spam."
I think the person writing these catalog descriptions should get a commission of the catalog sales. Why on earth would you pay $59 for fried potatoes? Because the description and suggestion made you feel a certain way - made you envision the lifestyle associated with these handcrafted delicacies.
So, how can I bring potatoes and real estate together? Look at the effort that went into a description for a $59 product. Let's apply some of that to - what is usually - the biggest purchase in people's lives - their home purchase.
- Selling a Home? Really look at your home. What can you do to stage your home to remove yourself from it and put your buyers in it? What emotional aspects of your home can you bring attention to? How will I feel when I live in your home?
- Buying a Home? Every home has its pros and cons... consider the characteristics that really make it home to you.
- Real Estate Agents - Look at what can be done with a description of fried potatoes... are there ways you can enhance your property descriptions and marketing to appeal to the emotional advantages of the property?