Congratulations, you have bought a home or condo in Lethbridge, Alberta. There are a few things you need to do before you move in or take possession.
Once the deal is done, and conditions have been removed, you likely have a month or more before you move into your new Lethbridge, Alberta home. What is there still that needs to be done?
Moving Checklist for Lethbridge Alberta.
1. Set up your utilities. Call the company that you want, and get your utilities started for the day of your possession. (You may need to cancel them where you are currently living too). Check out this link for setting up your utilities in Lethbridge.
2. Get your insurance. You will need to get insurance, or transfer insurance from your current home. It is always a good idea to keep your insurance on your current home for a few days after the new owners take possession, in case there is a delay. If you are moving to a condo, then you will need contents insurance.
3. Change all your addresses. Even if you change everything, you are still going to forget some stuff. So change it at the post office too. http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/personal/productsservices/receive/coapermanent.jsf Don't forget your insurance, your drivers, your school records, credit cards, government papers, etc.
4. Make an appointment with your lawyer. Once the deal is final, the papers will be sent to your lawyer. You should give them a call to make an appointment. If you have not chosen a lawyer already, here is a list of real estate lawyers in Lethbridge and area. http://www.viewlethbridge.com/lethbridgelawyers.html
5. Plan for the move. Possession is normally 12pm in Alberta, but it doesn't always work that way. Your real estate agent is not allowed to give you the keys until they have word from the seller's agent that the money has been received. Don't be waiting in front of the house at 12pm with a truck waiting for the call. That can be very stressful and nerve racking, as the money doesn't always arrive before noon, (and most lawyers offices completely close between 12 and 1).
6. Start packing: If what you are packing is likely to stay in a box for the next few years, you might just want to think about donating it, or giving away. Realty Executives Lethbridge has a bin at our office for those who would like to donate clothing to the Kidney foundation.
Lethbridge Economic Development also has a great checklist on their site that you might want to look at.
I hope you enjoy your new home! If you have not yet made the move, and are thinking of buying or selling in Lethbridge Alberta, call me at 403-795-8783 for a free consultation.