The Lincoln Schoolhouse and Gallery, located in Lincoln, NM is a remarkable historic building that was beautifully restored in 2007. Original features include 14 in. thick adobe walls, 12′ ceilings, oak flooring, and wavy glass pane windows, similar to older Santa Fe style adobe landmarks.
Completed in 1935, the building was a WPA project and was actively used for classes until 1954. Since then, the schoolhouse has also served as a foundry, pottery shop and most recently the Lincoln Schoolhouse Gallery and Art Center where receptions, performances, workshops and seminars were held.
Many improvements were made to the building including upgrades to electrical and plumbing systems, new heating and air conditioning, septic systems, ceilings, roof and more. A local cabinet maker was commissioned to rebuild the rope and pulley windows to their original standard. Although the renovations were extensive, the history, charm, and character of the old schoolhouse has been well preserved in the architectural details such as hardwood flooring, original doors, and even 1930′s era school room chalkboards, and drinking fountains.
The building’s main room is large enough to serve as a small auditorium with the original school stage. However, the restoration along with tasteful decor and furnishings, have made the room a comfortable setting for dining, and living area or gallery.
The renovations have converted former classrooms into 3 large bedrooms, and 3 full baths featuring walk in showers, and antique style clawfoot bath tubs. The bedrooms are quite large, and could be split into smaller rooms – if additional accommodations were needed.
The kitchen has numerous commercial features, including a Wolf 6 burner stainless stove and range with commercial vent hood, in addition to a stainless commercial freezer / refrigerator, dishwasher, and sink.
A spacious and comfortable media room is located on the building’s east end. From one corner of the media room, a custom oak spiral stair case leads to a basement level below which houses a wine cellar.
For outdoor entertaining and dining, the back patio and courtyard can be accessed from several doors including the kitchen and main hallway. The classy stone patio, was artistically designed with sandstone in the pattern of a sunburst. A southwestern style “pergola”, or trellis work of thick timbers, covers a large area of the patio and provide shade on the south facing patio. A hot tub is located just a few steps away. The back yard includes a lawn area with sprinkler system, bordered by low maintenance desert landscaping, enclosed in planters. One of the planters features a large rock boulder which was retrofitted with a running water fountain. The garden and fountain provide a tranquil water stop for hummingbirds that are drawn to purple mountain sage growing nearby.
From the patio, and several interior windows, are views of nearby mountains – covered with pinon and juniper trees and home to abundant wildlife in the area. The property measures just over 1.3 acres in size, and is located just east of the famous Lincoln County Courthouse, where the notorious outlaw “Billy the Kid” was held before his last escape. Other attractions near the schoolhouse include the Wortley Hotel, the Lincoln State Monument, and numerous historic buildings. Lincoln is a favorite destination of visitors and tourists who want to learn more about it’s history and photograph the buildings that have endured.
Please contact Mary Weaver at 575-937-5229, or Mark Stambaugh at 575-937-5719 for more information, or to arrange an appointment to tour of the Lincoln Schoolhouse Gallery. Re posted from: Ruidoso-homes