My dearest friend Margaret Rome is one of the most active Rainers, but I am at the other end of the scale. It's been more than a year since my last post, for Pete' sake! In that time I've:
- Moved from Maryland to Oregon
- Spent a couple of weeks driving across this amazing country in what we figure will be the only trip of that type we'll take,
- Prepared one house for sale and sold it,
- Found a new house in 4 days and bought it, and learned what most of you already know: that the business varies by region. In Maryland everyone gathers around the settlement table to exchange signatures, money, and keys. Here, it all goes through escrow and you never meet the other parties unless you make a special effort! We did meet the sellers and found them delightful.
- Packed and stored just about everything we own and then had it trucked across country after being stored for 3 months.
- Freecycled hundreds of items so that we would NOT have to throw them away or pay to haul them cross country
- Uprooted my business and replanted it in a new place
- Started working on another book for cat lovers (I'm talking to you, Russel!) - this time an ebook in color called A Cat for All Seasons that will be out later this year
- Said "goodbye" to Pipsqueak, the calico with the massive girth, industrial strength purr, and tiny voice.
- Began a new business that really is a continuation of my earlier love of making jewelry - The Prancing Otter is the place for fun jewelry for all your days and nights.
- Restarted blogging now that I'm semi-retired.
- Began volunteering - something I had always wanted to do but didn't have time for. I'm a caregiver for the Cat Adoption Team which means I go to the local PetSmart and care for the adoptable cats waiting there for their new homes.
I miss friends back in Maryland, but am enjoying the casual lifestyle in the Pacific Northwest. And even though it's supposed to be gray and rainy all winter long, it hasn't been!