Shore Impact Zone Changes Buyers, Sellers, And Realtors Should Be Aware Of.

Real Estate Broker/Owner with Keller Williams Realty Professionals 40355590

Important Information for home/cabin owners! If you are considering selling, you need to know this:


(This was taken from a press release from Crow Wing County, February 24, 2012)




Crow Wing County is reminding property owners that this year is the time to complete planned expansions to non-conforming structures without the requirement of obtaining a variance. The County’s current land use regulations allow a one-time 50% expansion of non-conforming structures – structures that do not meet current zoning requirements, such as setbacks from water or other “grandfathered” zoning requirements. Such structures may be expanded once by up to 50% without the need for a variance, but this allowance will expire on December 31, 2012

According to Land Services Department Supervisor Chris Pence, “Landowners who have not yet taken advantage of this one-time 50% expansion opportunity to expand the old cabin or other non-conforming structures should be aware that the window is closing. Permits to perform such expansions must be approved by the County in 2012. After that, a variance will be required to expand a non-conforming structure in Crow Wing County.

Current law allows a legally non-conforming structure to be increased one time by up to 50% of the current footprint as long as the expansion does not encroach any closer to the lake or other appropriate setbacks, is not located in shore impact zone 1, and the structure was built prior to land use regulations (1970). However, this provision sunsets at the end of 2012, and thereafter, expansions of nonconforming structures in Crow Wing County will require a variance. Therefore, property owners have until December 31, 2012 to receive an approved permit from the County for these expansions. The approved permit is then valid for two years, during which the construction must be completed.

The Land Services Department is committed to providing excellent customer service while helping landowners make wise choices that protect Crow Wing County’s extraordinary natural resources. Citizens are encouraged to contact the Environmental Services Office at (218) 824-1125 or to discuss expansions of structures or other land use questions before starting building projects. Information about land use in Crow Wing County can be found at


If this information concerns or confuses you, please feel free to call me at my Keller Williams office and I will be happy to help. Keeping my clients and potential clients informed is a huge part of the value-added service I strive to provide.


I look forward to hearing from you-Jamie


218-838-4095 or 218-454-4300



This entry hasn't been re-blogged:

Re-Blogged By Re-Blogged At
ActiveRain Community
Minnesota Crow Wing County
Active Rain Newbies
Local Expert
shore impact zone
crow wing county
50 rule

Spam prevention

What's the reason you're reporting this blog entry?

Are you sure you want to report this blog entry as spam?


Jamie Magness

Distinctive Properties
Do you have a question about Brainerd, MN Real Estate?

Additional Information