We've been getting more and more requests for laminate flooring in Westchester County. Some of our customers are choosing laminate as an alternative to hardwood and others are upgrading from carpeting to laminate floors.
So, why is laminate flooring on the rise?
1. Laminate flooring looks like real hardwood. It is amazing how far laminates have come these last few years, and they come in a variety of colors and styles. They are made to mimic virtually every type of hardwood. They come in matte and shiny finishes and some even have micro beveled edges for a very impactful look. There are even some options that mimic the handscraped and distressed hardwood look.
2. Laminate flooring can be installed quickly. Often, if you subfloor is straight/even and secure, laminate flooring can be placed on top of the existing floor, so this reduces time and costs with rip up and floor prep. You can often install on top of vinyl, tile or hardwood floors. Do not install on top of carpet as germs/moisture can get caught in between, and this could create major issues later.
It's usually a bit easier and faster to install laminate flooring vs hardwood floors. Some home owners even try to install laminate flooring themselves, but it is usually obvious when a homeowner or inexperienced handyman has installed them vs. a flooring expert.
3. Laminate floors is great for those w/ allergies or those with asthma. Unlike carpet, laminate will not allow allergens or dust to penetrate and settle in.
4. Laminate floors are easy to clean and maintain Hard surfaces are much easier to clean and you don't need to worry about getting a professional carpet clean in annually. Because laminate is made with recycled hardwood flooring, you should treat it the same way you would treat hardwood. Hardwood cleaners will work well on laminate as well. Avoid products that have oil or glo/glow in their name as these will usually harm both laminates and hardwood flooring.
5. Laminate floors are kid and pet friendly. Laminates have a melamine wear layer on top so they are pretty scratch resilient and will hold up much better to kids and pets (as well as high heals and moving chairs).
6. Laminate flooring is very affordable Laminates are a less expensive option vs. hardwood. The material and labor are generally less expensive, so this can really help those on a limited budget. While laminate flooring costs more than carpet, in the long run it will save you a lot of money. Often laminate will cost around 1.5 -1.8 times the cost of carpet, so initially, your outlay will be higher. But, carpet is usually replaced every 5-7 years due to staining and spills. As soon as you replace the carpet once, you will have spent more than you did for the laminate. (Usually laminate will last 3-4 times as long as carpet). And, with laminate, you don't need to worry about annual carpet cleaning which can add additional expense. Laminate flooring can really save a lot of money on rentals as tenants often move out quickly and carpets often need to be replaced every 2-3 years.
If you live in Westchester NY and are interested in learning more about laminate flooring, give us a call at 914-937-2950 and we'd be happy to provide a free estimate.
View Westchester Flooring in a larger map