The Deadline to Apply for a Property Tax Assessment Review in Carlsbad (and San Diego County) is April 30, 2012
It’s time to pay attention to an important tax date for Carlsbad (San Diego County), especially if you feel your property taxes are too high.
Given where taxes have been and the decline in property values in the last 6 years, it’s possible your home’s assessment is high and exceeds your home’s market value AND thus you are paying more taxes.
First, here are some important facts:
- The fiscal year for tax purposes in San Diego County begins July 1, 2011 and ends June 30, 2012
- There are two (2) installments due – the first on November 1, 2011 (this was delinquent after December 10, 2011) and the second on February 1, 2012 ( this will be delinquent after April 10, 2012).
You are responsible for paying your property taxes even if you do not receive a bill. The San Diego Tax Collector does NOT recognize the fact that you didn’t get the bill as an acceptable excuse for non-payment.
If your mortgage company is escrowing funds each month to pay your bill, make sure they DO pay it in a timely manner. I found out after the fact that one installment of mine had not been paid because I did not check.
If you would like to apply for an INFORMAL ASSESSMENT REVIEW you can do so online. The deadline for filing is APRIL 30, 2012.
- Click the Informal Assessment Review link.
- Insert either your Parcel Number (10-digit number on your tax bill) OR your address and click SUBMIT
- Select the correct property and click
- You will then see the on-line Application for Review of Assessment
- Complete all the required information, including SALES COMPARABLES, and click submit request at the bottom
You will be notified if your review has been granted, and then the results of that review.
If you have any tax questions, the San Diego Tax Collector website has a ton of information to answer all your property tax questions.