My friend and fellow Realtor® June Piper-Brandon has come up with 10 good reasons for living in the Baltimore area.
I am sure, we could add a few more.
Top 10 Reasons to Live in the Baltimore Area
As many of you know I am not originally from Baltimore. I moved here in 1997 and stayed.
The Baltimore area has much to offer including:
1. Education - Maryland has many of the best schools in the country and offers many opportunities for higher learning. Johns Hopkins University, University of Maryland, Stevenson University, Loyola College, Towson University just to name a few. Plus, Baltimore County has 3 of the top high schools in the state and 19 high schools in Maryland made it to Newsweeks top 500 high schools in the country.
2. Health Care - Baltimore is home to the best hospital in the country according to US News. That is Johns Hopkins. In addition to Hopkins Baltimore also hosts many other hospitals and medical teaching facilities.
3. Entertainment - Baltimore is home to the Myerhoff Theatre, Lyric Theatre, The Hippodrome as well as many other small neighborhood theatres, many movie theatres, concert houses and small neighborhood locations. In addition there is the Inner Harbor with many points of interest and many local museums.
4. Employment - The seasonally adjusted unemployment rate in January 2012 was only 6.5% compared to the national average of 8.3%. There are many employment opportunities here and Washington DC is an easy commute by bus, train or car for would be employees.
5. Travel - International travel from the Baltimore area is serviced by BWI Airport in Hanover, MD and also by Regan National and Dulles in Washington DC/Northern Virginia. In addition Philadelphia is close by. Travellers can check flights from all 4 airports for economical pricing. Also, many cruise ships now leave from the Port of Baltimore.
6. Variety - Baltimore City has over 200 distinct communities and neighboring towns have much to offer prospective home buyers in terms of employment, shopping and entertainment.
7. Sports - The area is home to many national sports teams including Baltimore Ravens, Orioles, Capitals, Redskins plus many top college teams. If you are a sports fan then Maryland is for you.
8. Climate - Maryland is neither north nor south. The climate here is relatively moderate compared to the north and not as hot as the south. This past winter was very mild compared to the past few years.
9. Housing - Maryland has many affordable housing opportunities. However, compared to other parts of the country prices might seem high but overall the cost of living here in Maryland is very good. Plus, there are many housing styles to choose from including many with basements, yard, decks, even roof top decks in some parts of the Baltimore City.
10. Food - If you like seafood and in particular crabs then Maryland is for you. I had never eaten crabs before coming to Maryland and despite the extensive effort required they are delicious. I think the best crab cakes are from G & M Restaurant or Timbuktu. Baltimore has some of the best restaurants around and there is usually something for everyone. Check out Baltimore Magazines best of Baltimore list for a few opportunities.
If you are thinking of buying or selling an home in Maryland give me a call at 410-292-0100 or start your search here and we'll talk about the market conditions and what your home could possibly be worth in today's market place if you are thinking of selling. If you are considering buying a home, there is no better time than now to buy. The tax savings and wealth building alone is worth the plunge into todays market. Century 21 New Millennium is part of the largest nationwide relocation company and can assist with your move here in Maryland or anywhere in the United States or abroad. Ask me how.
In keeping with saluting our heroes, during 2011 I am waving flat fees for active duty military, retired military and the families of fallen military, as well as policemen, firemen and emt's. If you enter into a contract by the New Year's eve I will waive the flat fee at settlement. This is a $395 savings. If you are thinking about buying or selling a home give me a call and receive full service real estate assistance from an experienced agent. Our office is open 7 days a week and we can be reached at 410-730-8888 or I can be reached directly at 410-292-0100.
June Piper-Brandon ~ Associate Broker, CDPE, CIAS, ePro