Want to sell your St. Clair home for the best price possible and in a timely manner? Of course you do, or you wouldn't have listed it in the first place.
Here are 10 great tips for today's home sellers:
1. Hire a Realtor® - Especially in today's market, you need someone who can help you set the best price for your home. You also need someone who will be able to bring in potential buyers, handle contracts, and market to a large audience. A Realtor® can do all these things for you.
2. Tell it Like it Is - Don't try to hide the facts. If your home needs a lot more work than you're willing or able to give it and you'd rather sell, let your agent know. If there's a pest problem, again you have to disclose such things or you could find yourself in trouble when a buyer finds out he's been duped.
3. Price Your Home Realistically - Of course you want to sell for the best price possible, but it doesn't help to price the home too high and have it languish on the market for months. To sell, you'll eventually have to reduce the price anyway, but by then, the rush of lookers that show up when a house is first listed will have died down, so it's better to price right from the start and cash in on that early higher traffic.
4. Put Your Emotions Away - Don't attach a large emotional value to the home you're selling. Yes, you've spent a lot of time getting it to where it is today, but potential buyers aren't really interested in your emotional attachment, so don't try to add it to the price.
5. Stay Involved in the Sale - Even though you've hired a Realtor® to sell your home, that doesn't mean you shouldn't speak with him or her on a regular basis. You need to understand where you and your home stand at all times during the sales process.
6. Stage Your Home - Take the time to clean, declutter, paint, and fix up your home so buyers can see the potential in your home. Arrange furniture to create great living spaces, add splashes of color to neutral rooms, and create some instant curb appeal with blooming plants.
7. Get Out of the Way - Whether your agent is showing the home to a couple or throwing an open house, leave the area so the agent can do his or her work. Hovering when your home is being shown makes buyers feel like they're intruding and can't look at the home thoroughly.
8. Where Will You Go - Sometimes you can sell your house and have ample time to move, but if it should happen that a great sale depends on your being able to vacate the premises in a hurry, be sure you have planned where you will go when the house sells. If you have to find a new home, get an idea of the neighborhood where you'll eventually want to buy. Consider renting or living with relatives for a short time after the sale if this is what it takes to close the deal.
9. Be Flexible - Decide on your bottom line selling price, but be willing to negotiate. Oftentimes there are other ways besides just lowering the price to make a sale happen. Your Realtor® should be able to help with such negotiations.
10. Keep a Positive Attitude - Listen to all the feedback you can get, whether from your agent or prospective buyers, to help you fix any problems that may be keeping your house from selling. Don't get discouraged--your house will eventually sell and you can move on to your new life.
A Realtor® is the best person you can have to help you sell your St. Clair home quickly and for the best price. Contact me, Scott Hickinbotham, online today or give me a call at 636-629-3419. We're ready, willing, and able to help you sell your home or buy a new one in the St. Clair area.