Mold is a sneaky thing that can creep into the tiniest of crevices where it will fester, unnoticed for years. Mold spores can multiply very quickly, so even if it is left for a couple days, it can start to spread. Not only is that incredibly gross, it’s also quite dangerous. As mold grows, it produces a variety of mycotoxins including trichothecenes, beta glucans, nitric oxides and aflatoxins, which is why it can affect people in so many different ways. Mold can cause a lot a health issues, ranging from mild allergic reactions to serious diseases including lung cancer.
The minor effects of mold exposure include things such as fatigue, flu symptoms, mild breathing issues and allergic reactions. You do not have to have an allergy to mold to be greatly affected by its presence. Breathing mold infested air can bring on body aches, excessive tiredness, headaches, sinus problems and even fever. Mold can also affect ones breathing by inducing coughing, wheezing and congestion. Allergic reactions include many of the same symptoms as well as itchy eyes, runny nose, sneezing, nausea, dizziness and diarrhea. All of these reactions will cause discomfort and can lead to the more serious problems caused by mold.
Children and elderly are often more sensitive to the presence of mold and if exposed, children have a greater risk of developing asthma due to the effects of their breathing. Adults and children alike are in danger of permanent lung damage that can result in bleeding lungs. Due to mold’s weakening effect on the immune system, it can also bring on a fiercer version of the common cold, one that will last longer and continue coming back due to the continued exposure.
Mold has been linked to various serious diseases such as cancer, ameobiasis, cholera and typhoid fever. Breathing in mold spores can lead to bleeding of the lungs or even lung cancer. Ameobiasis is curable, but incredibly unpleasant. One will experience flu-like symptoms as well as abdominal cramping, blood and mucus in their stool, vomiting and high fevers. If left untreated it can also lead to more serious intestinal infections.
Cholera affects the small intestine. The infection leads to violent vomiting and diarrhea. Due to the intensity of both of these things, someone suffering from cholera is at a great risk of becoming dehydrated very quickly. Cholera requires quick treatment involving oral rehydration, antibiotics and sometimes intravenous fluids in more severe cases. While these symptoms may not sound life-threatening, over 100,000 people die of cholera each year.
Typhoid fever differs from a normal fever due to the higher temperature, excessive sweating, inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract and, occasionally, a rash. Typhoid fever, left untreated, will lead to delirium and intense abdominal pain. Someone suffering from typhoid is also at risk of intestinal hemorrhaging and/or perforation.
Once mold develops within a building or home, it will remain there until it is removed, or the building is devoured. Continuous mold exposure will only heighten the chances of the people exposed developing not only the minor discomforts but also suffer from permanent damage. If there is ever a water leak or any kind of water damage within a building it is important to immediately have the area checked for mold and have any spores removed before the toxins can enter the air supply. A mold inspection is an excellent place to start, especially for people with allergies that just won’t seem to go away.
Have you had a Mold Inspection to your home? If not, you are in for a real treat, in knowing what is going on with your home. Such as the taking of Air Samples and sending them off to an out side lab for testing. How about a scanning of all your walls and ceilings inside your home, to determine if you have moisture issues that you can not see?
David Snell is a Certified Mold Inspector and Certified Mold Remediator and he has been in business since 1987.
Call Dave and he will answer your questions and make you feel very comfortable in talking with him.