MOLD - It's as old as the Earth and it's everywhere. Even though the issue of mold is not new, I thought it would be helpful to pass along these tips to help you prevent mold from growing in your home.
The most important steps in controlling mold growth are to clean any existing mold and to eliminate excessive moisture. You can take numerous precautionary steps:
- Vacuum and clean regularly to remove possible sources of mold growth paying special attention to bathrooms.
- Do NOT store materials such as paper, books, clothes, or other possible sources of food for mold in humid parts of your home.
- Clean refrigerator drip pans regularly and remove any mold on the door gaskets and replace faulty gaskets.
- Make sure your clothes dryer is vented to the outside.
- Repair water leaks in your roof, windows, or any other part of the home as soon as possible.
- If your home has an attic, make sure it is properly insulated and ventilated.
These are just a few steps you can take in preventing mold in your home...remember, mold thrives on MOISTURE, WARMTH, and FOOD. Depriving these three items will stop it from growing but will not kill mold that is already there. Mold spores remain dormant and if any of the three reappear mold will begin to grow again.
I hope these tips have been informative and I will be continually sharing information in all phases of home maintenance and repair.