Last January our family was blessed with a new addition, a precious little girl, my third grandchild. If you’re a grandparent, you know the delight and inexplicable feeling when that child first smiles at you and melts your heart. I can truly say there is nothing I wouldn’t do for her or to protect her. That’s why I’ve been doing some research lately on the internet about allergies. Both of her parents suffer from migraines and other painful symptoms caused by allergies. I was disappointed to find that she’s 75% more likely to have allergic reactions since both of her parents suffer from them. I was also astounded at the amount of information warning families to be aware of mold allergies. From all around the world there were stories of illness and even death resulting from exposure to mold.
There are a few things I’d like to share with you here to help you be better informed about the possibility of dangerous mold in your home. First and foremost is the fact that some mold cannot be seen. Although most of us have observed visible mold where there was dampness, such as under sinks or around bathroom fixtures, there are many different types of mold and some of these are invisible. Some are present in the air, and some circulate through household ventilation systems. Next, if your family suffers from coughing, sneezing, runny noses or postnasal drip, dark circles under the eyes, red rimmed or swollen eyes with crusty eyelids, scratchy throats, or constant rubbing of the nose by an infant, they may be demonstrating symptoms of allergies to mold. This may especially be true if the symptoms aren’t seasonal and if they don’t go away after a few days.
I was surprised to find that molds react to light, and that mold often spreads its spores at the darkest time of night, perhaps traveling though the heating or air conditioning system’s vents. The good news is that with the highly advanced testing available today, mold can be detected and removed wherever it hides or exists, even within walls or in the air. Samples can be taken and evaluated that will let you know whether or not you have a mold problem, and mold restoration and remediation experts can help you feel safe about the environment you share with the precious loved ones within your home.
Mold is nothing to be taken lightly. If you are experiencing any of the symptoms listed above, or if you can see signs of mold growth, a mold inspection can let you know for sure what you are up against. The inspection itself is non intrusive, and fairly inexpensive, and catching mold early could be one of the best things you do to protect your home.
David Snell is the owner and operator of Executive Restoration and based out of Mint Hill/Charlotte North Carolina and he has been in business since 1987.
David Snell is a Certified Mold Inspector as well as a Certified Mold Remediator and he has been in business since 1987.