1. Unlike my good friend, TW, I no longer play golf. I played BADLY for many years, and finally realized that for me, golf was an expensive way to add frustration to my life. So I quit. I've never enjoyed golf more, than since I quit playing it. However, according to the law that states that occasionally a blind squirrel will find a nut, on TWO (COUNT 'EM) TWO separate occasions I hit perfect shots that resulted in TWO Holes-in One(or should it be Hole-in-Ones). The first, using my then brother-in-law's new clubs (boy was he p**ssed), was a 217 yard shot over a pond. (it was the first time I'd ever made it over the pond), the 2nd was at a golf league, a 165 yard shot.
2. For me, there is nothing that takes away the stress of daily life the way a beautiful piece of music does. An operatic aria, Mozart's Requiem (which I was able to see in Vienna this summer), some amazing Rachmaninoff piano or some good jazz erases all the stress of the day. I live performance is preferred, but great recordings turned up loud are sufficient.
3. I am ruled by my bird, Izzy. He's a Timna Gray Parrot who's been my boss for 19-years. If Izzy's not happy, I'm highly likely to be nursing a bird bite on my arm. He's pretty entertaining though. Talks, whistles, does me making a phone call "Hello, un huh, uh huh, thanks for calling". One time before he hung up, he told whomever he was talking to that he loved them. Karen was curious where that came from.. the lying bird!
4. I'm very big on traditions. Kirstin and I have had an annual date for The Nutcracker since she was a very little girl. As she grew up, the dinners we enjoyed before became nicer and more elegant (see item #5 below). The last 2-years, I've not been able to bring myself to go without her while she's living in Romania in the Peace Corps. She and I have also become Rentheads attending live performances when they are within easy driving distance. We also sing along to the soundtrack on road trips. It's not a pretty sight (or sound) Jared and I have made an annual pilgrimage to Ravinia to see the Chicago Symphony for the last 10-years. It's my hope to honor these traditions with them, and (someday) their kids too!
5. Karen says that I've never forgotten a wonderful meal that I've been served- and we've been together for 30-years. There's something about well prepared food, served in an appropriate environment that causes me great joy. Doesn't have to be fancy, just has to be true to what it is trying to be. I do remember fondly many amazing meals in some wonderful places. I'm a very lucky man.
Golf photo by charliebomber on Flickr.com
There you go. Nothing earth shaking here, but 5-things that I suspect only Karen knew about me before now.
I'm going to tap:
Steve Michael- A good friend and someone new to AR.
Steve Yared - My favorite GR Home Inspector
Eric Kodner- Because he's got a great first name, and I've enjoyed reading his posts.
to MEME about themselves.
So, when you finish your Meme post assignments, leave a comment on Lucky Lang's MeMe Tutorial Post with
the link and choose 3 people you would like to MEME.