As part of our ongoing, never-ending journey to becoming experts not only in everything Allen has to offer, but more specifically the Starcreek Community, we had the priviledge to tour The Montessori School at Starcreek in Allen, TX today. This school offers very flexible programs for children ranging as young as 6 weeks to 12 years of age. One of the most attractive features of this school is the teacher-to-student ratios are beyond small. The infants have a 1:4 ratio, the toodlers have a 1:7 ratio, and 3 year olds and older have a 1:11 ratio.
This School openeed there doors in 2009, and speaking of open doors they truly have an open door policy. Parents, are allowed at any time to show up at the school (no appointment neccesary) and watch their child in action by standing in the hall in front of the 1 way mirrors/windows. In other words, you can see directly into each and every classroom and your child, nor the teacher, nor anyone in that classroom will ever know you are there. In fact, The Montessori School at Starcreek in Allen, TX hosts 2 formal viewing weeks every year, where all parents are encouraged to come view your childer and the teachers via these windows, and after these 2 weeks the school holds formal conferences for you to provide your feedback and be heard by the staff.
The Montessori School at Starcreek in Allen, TX (like most Montessori Schools) does not have what you would know as formal testing, nor do they have standarized testing. Instead, they test students in a different fashion. After teaching students, they then have the students present it back to the teachers to ensure they truly understand each and every topic. So they present the teachings or topics to the child, then have the child work on it (learning by doing, touching, exploring), and will not move on until that child has mastered it.
Some other notable facts about the school include the following:
- Uniforms are worn
- The school is not peanut free
- Lunch isn't provided by the school, but 2 snacks per day are offered
- School lets out at 2:45, but you can pick up your kids as late as 6pm
- Children get recess twice a day (30 min in morning & 30 min in afternoon)
- There is a garden outside for children as young as 18-months to work in
- Every teacher has to receive a specific Montessori Certification to work there
- The Nursery "Nest" classroom is a shoeless environment
- Toddlers start going to all of extra-ciriculum classes
- Parents receive a monthly Newslette & Calendar that gives them information on everything going on in the school as well as monthly information on the current lessons that their child is learnig & mastering
- Their is a current waiting list
- The Infant Program is designed for children from ages 6 weeks to 20 months
- The Toddler Program is designed for children from ages 18 months to 3 years
- The Primary Program is designed for children from ages 3 years to 6 years
- The Lower Elementary Program is designed for children from ages 6 years to 9 years
- The Upper Elementary Program is designed for children from ages 9 years to 12 years
These are just a few of the many benefits that The Montessori School at Starcreek in Allen, TX has to offer your children. If you would like further information, please visit their website at http://www.montessorischool.com/allen/ or contact myself, Heather Anderson, at 214-317-1964 and I would love to share what else I learned with you!
Also, please visit our website if you are looking to buy in Star Creek. Click this link to view active listings in this wonderful subdivision: http://www.janusregroup.com/Allen/StarCreek