We are ready to sell our home and are there things we should not do?
Most Realtors have a list of all the different things a home seller should do before they place their home on the market in Katy TX. I have thought for many months some folks must not be reading and or paying attention to the list of things to do. Maybe we should go the opposite direction by looking at what not to do. The salient points I will make in my 5 TH blog of my series on Frequently Asked Questions are all based on my own observations during viewing of homes for sale with my buyers. Some are rather unbelievable but all valid.
The items are as follows:
1) Do not leave valuables in your home. Rent a lock box or place these items in the home of close relatives. The items I am talking about are cash, collectibles, coins, gold or silver, rings, bearer securities, valuable art work, watches, etc. If something ends up missing you should accept part of the blame.
2) Do not have your family pictures appearing throughout the home. Remove a majority of these pictures as you want potential buyers to image this home to be theirs and not yours.
3) The counter tops, built in storage, and center island are not a place which should be littered with medicine bottles, mail, empty pizza boxes, newspapers, receipts or any other crap.
4) Get rid of clutter throughout the home including all the bedrooms.
5) Take garbage out to the appropriate place and do not store stacked at the back door, garage door and at the fence gate. There is very disgusting and turns all buyers off to the point where they want to leave immediately.
6) Bad smells are another immediate turn off. Your home should not smell like you butchered a goat and cooked it in the main living area. Try burning good smelling candles and open doors/windows to get rid of these bad odors.
7) The back of a detached garage should not be a place to store any junk. Buyers when this situation is discovered say to me ‘Who is going to clean up that mountain of total crap”. Don’t put the home on the market until all this stuff is gone from your property.
8) Bathroom remodeling projects are terrific ideas as long as these efforts are completed. Do not try to fake buyers out by not leaving a means to take shower without flooding the home. Complete the project or don’t start it.
9) A front yard that looks like the Saharan desert and or a back yard that could have been in a war zone really turn off buyers and are no bueno. Remember curb appeal is important and these the back yard is also very important.
So if You are wanting to sell your home and you are thinking the about the question We are ready to sell our home and are there things we should not do, go back and read by my blog again and answer these items honestly.