You've made the decision to list your home with us, so what's involved with making the decision official? Just like many things in life, paperwork! What paperwork you might ask? Here's the collection of documents we'll cover when we list your home:
- Exclusive Right To Sell contract. Three pages of standard contract produced by the Cincinnati Area Board of REALTORS® and approved by their legal counsel. These three pages are the official hiring document and contains the terms of the listing. We'll provide another post about the essential elements of this contract. We fill in the blanks, we all sign and it's official, we're you're listing agents.
- State of Ohio Residential Property Disclosure Form. Four pages of standard questions and answers. Primarily, it's the communication method for advising prospective buyers of known or past defects with your home. Disclose here and you've reduced your liability. Hide something and the buyers discover after purchase that you knew about a problem and didn't warn them, you just might find yourself becoming acquainted with our legal system.
- Lead Based Paint Disclosure Form. Unless your home was built prior to 1978 this probably isn't an issue, but we've got a form for it just in case! We also have information from the EPA on lead based paint for you.
- Consumer Guide to Agency Relationships. This two page document details how agents work with the public in Ohio. Do we work for the seller? The buyer? Both? What are our Fair Housing Requirements? It's all in these two pages.
- Affiliated Business Disclosures. If our brokerage owners have business relationships with mortgage providers and title companies, this is the document that will disclose which companies are involved. The buyer chooses their lender and title company, so odds are we won't overlap. Even if we do, the companies involved have professional obligations to keep everything arm's length and protect your confidentiality.
- MLS Data forms. You won't have to fill these out, but these forms are how we record the data for Cincinnati MLS and Dayton MLS to enter your home into the system. We'll need to measure rooms, note features, obtain HOA fees and contact information, etc.
- Showing Instruction Form. What phone numbers do you want called? How much notice do you need? Any special instructions? This form is where we capture that information. Don't forget we'll need a spare key for the lockbox.
- Broker Thank You Letter. Our broker likes to say "Thanks" for hiring us!
And that's the complete set of documents we need to officially place your home on the market.
Now we will ask for some additional information, like utility providers and what day is trash pick up? What improvements have you made to your home?
Why did you select your home? Chances are the same factors that drove your decision are also going to drive your buyer's decision. We like to integrate that information into our marketing efforts to increase the odds of finding your right buyer quickly!
Typically Liz takes the pictures of the home while Bill does the paperwork with you. Overall, we'll need about an hour of your time, depending on how large your home is and how many questions you have for us.
If you have questions regarding the listing process, please don't hesitate to ask us.
Serving Warren County's residential real estate needs,
Liz and Bill aka BLiz