Moving can be a very stressful event. Leaving the home you know for one that’s new to you can be emotional as well as a logistical nightmare. The key to a low-stress move is to be prepared and organized. Here are some tips to help you stay sane in the midst of the chaos:
- Label, label, label! Label every box with the room name and the contents. All the boxes will look alike on moving day and you will want to know where everything is.
- Use newspaper to wrap breakables. You can also use placemats, extra towels and sheets to help cushion the boxes.
- Pack beds and mattresses into the truck last. You’ll want to get these set up first in the new home; when exhaustion sets in that first night you’ll be glad you took care of it already.
- Pack one box with essentials to ride with you in your car so you know exactly where they are and can access them as soon as you arrive: medicines, cell phone chargers, contact lens solution, toothbrush, toilet paper, change of clothes, pet food, snacks for kids, bandages etc.
- Think about food. You and your friends are going to get hungry and thirsty unpacking; buy a case of drinks to stock in the fridge when you arrive. Pre-arrange for someone to deliver food or have a local pizza shop menu ready for ordering.
- Keep track of pets at all times. They get stressed too and you don’t want to lose them, make sure they have a collar with ID.
- Tape the names of rooms to door frames so movers know where furniture belongs.
Looking for a detailed moving guide? HGTV’s Front Door website has an in-depth one here.
Thinking of moving to or just visiting Lancaster PA? Check out this website for lots of area information and then contact us!